Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need part# for hose behind the exhuast manifold

33K views 49 replies 10 participants last post by  Mikerthebiker 
#1 ·
Dose anyone know the part number for the hose behind the exhaust manifold?

I found the rest of the part numbers on the drivers side, but nothing on the passenger side.

See less See more
#2 ·
So hose 13 goes straight into the block... good to know. Think the flow is out of the block or into it?

The dealer cant find the part number on that hose under the manifold? Wonder if generic 5/8 hose would be fine there...

#3 ·
The dealer cant find the part number on that hose under the manifold? Wonder if generic 5/8 hose would be fine there...
I went to the dealer and the parts guy looked and looked and couldn't find it. It looks like it could be a silicon hose, which wouldn't surprise me due to the heat it receives being that close to the exhaust manifold. I'm hoping that a forum member (who works at the dealership) might be able to find it for me!

#7 ·
Glad this got brought up, more hoses than I thought. Any idea what the MT trucks have for hose config on that side? (anyone?)

#13 appears 4x in that top drawing...

#8 ·
#9 ·
Here's a better close-up picture of the torque converter cooler.

#11 ·
The parts man is probably looking in the wrong group for the hose. I want to say it is part of the cooling system group but the memory is foggy at this point. It is the one that has a TSB on it so not sure why they cannot find it.

Just don't mess up that tube that runs around the back of the block. That is one expensive piece of pot metal.

#12 ·
The parts man is probably looking in the wrong group for the hose. I want to say it is part of the cooling system group but the memory is foggy at this point. It is the one that has a TSB on it so not sure why they cannot find it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these two hoses are not the same, right?

#13 ·
The hose is 05179114AB and the spring clamps are 05179115AA. I prefer the constant tension clamps to the worm gear clamps.

BTW - the hose is just under 3/4" I.D.

Good luck!

#14 ·
Okay, so that part# is used in two different locations! Thank you!

Cummins numbers:
4930327 is the clamp
4939438 is the hose
Mopar numbers:
05179115AA is the clamp
05179114AB is the hose.

#20 ·
Not sure if it was mentioned but what about hose #9? Forgot about the one that connects to the block on the right side. .

#17 ·
Steve, it looks like there's a hardline all the way across instead of a two piece hardline. :confused013:

#19 ·
I KNOW RIGHT?! Wonder if they changed it due to problems with that hard pipe? The OP of that pic did not specify what year his truck was... Found that over in the perf section in a tater turbo/exhaust thread

#23 ·
I got a bunch of hoses that came in the mail today. Thankfully they have part numbers tied to them making it easier to identify which hose goes where.

#24 ·
My truck is leaking from the red silicon hose shown in the picture above, anyone else having issues with that? I think it is only easily accessible with the turbo and exhaust manifold removed or has someone changed it with that stuff on?

#25 ·
TTT... approaching 300k and am planning to swap all hoses this time around, good to have the PNs, thanks Dieselenthusiast

Preventive maintenance rules... new drive belt also going on @ 100k intervals.

#26 ·
TTT... approaching 300k and am planning to swap all hoses this time around, good to have the PNs, thanks Dieselenthusiast.
No problem! I just found out yesterday that I don't have the little hose that connects the two hard lines directly behind the exhaust manifold that some photos show. I wonder if there was a change in 2006.

new drive belt also going on @ 100k intervals.
I looked at mine yesterday, and we decided to leave the factory belt for now. I'm at 133,500 miles on the OE belt but it still looks good and the tensioner still looks good. I think I will change the tensioner, water pump, and belt maybe two years from now. I'm only logging about 12,000 miles per year.

#32 ·
Here are the pics:

#33 ·
Ah I see.... order the race cover for it. ($85ish) You'd get the same benefit as the ring but to a greater extent. There is going to be a lot of turbulence in front of the comp wheel. The TAG will help but there is a good sized gap from the wheel to the output of the TAG and the air will become turbulent again.

reference pic... shows what the comp wheel should see IMO...

silencer ring helps similar to what the image shows, the race cover would do a better job at it.

#34 ·
Steve, which race cover will fit it?

#35 ·
Turbo is a tater right? Contact him, he is the only one i know of that sells them for the he351. Seeing your housing makes me wonder if it would even fit mine. I will investigate further if i go for it.

How is the spool on it unloaded? At what rpm?

#38 ·
Turbo is a tater right? Contact him, he is the only one i know of that sells them for the he351. ?Seeing your housing makes me wonder if it would even fit mine. I will investigate further if i go for it.
Yup, it's a Tater. I will contact him.

How is the spool on it unloaded? At what rpm?
Let me preface this by saying, I’M STILL ON STOCK TUNING. With that being said, I would say it spools almost as good as stock when running empty. But when towing, it doesn’t spool as early. I just don’t have the fuel. Once I get EFI, I should see a vast improvement in how it spools, especially in the RPM range I need it for. Once it starts to spool, it sure can build boost quick! I think it will be the perfect turbo once I get the right tune. Unloaded, it’s pretty nice. It does okay towing, it just needs more fuel and timing in the lower RPM. The stock turbo is really a perfect setup for stock tuning. The only downside to the stock turbo, in my opinion, is that the stock turbine side is a little too small for my liking. So between higher driveline pressures and too much heat, I think making the switch to the Tater Tow Master will be the perfect setup for a mild EFI tune, which should result in better fuel mileage (towing and running empty). And the extra power will be appreciated, especially when towing some of these steep grades that we have here in the mountainous regions. I think I’m making the right decision; I just can’t say how much of an improvement there is until I have an EFI tune to make that turbo do what it’s designed to do. I’m thinking about adding a 75 horsepower tune. Nothing major, just timing advancements and more fuel in the lower RPM range, otherwise, stock is pretty dang nice.

#36 ·
And put the tag back in and post feedback...! Cant go waiting till next week to hear how it works hahaha... Just joking....

#40 ·
Oh, I didn't know that. I assume that most tuners know that piece of information, huh? I hope so!

#41 ·
Yeah you need to have the timing set so more heat is in the exhaust fo help it spool. Having UDC and playing with it you can easily go too far advancing the timing. You need it in the higher load ranges at lower rpms.

Another thing you can do is get a blanket for the exhaust mani. I have had mine on there since the winter minnesota 2014/2015 with no problems (no towing though). One of the things i found back then was trapping the heat loosely around the manifold helped spool significantly in sub 30* temps.

#43 ·
Yeah you need to have the timing set so more heat is in the exhaust fo help it spool. Having UDC and playing with it you can easily go too far advancing the timing. You need it in the higher load ranges at lower rpms.
It looks like I will be getting EFI sooner than I thought!

Another thing you can do is get a blanket for the exhaust mani. I have had mine on there since the winter minnesota 2014/2015 with no problems (no towing though). One of the things i found back then was trapping the heat loosely around the manifold helped spool significantly in sub 30* temps.
I bought the stainless steel manifold so that I could have the option to wrap. Since I'm at a higher elevation and cool weather region, wrapping is a good choice for me.

#42 ·
Hey isnt the TAG supposed to help spool? It is possible it may help while towing...

Also, if you still have your old turbo and need to send it back as a core maybe pull the silencer ring before sending it?

#44 ·
Hey isnt the TAG supposed to help spool? It is possible it may help while towing...
Yes, it improves spool, but I need more than what a TAG can do. :grin2:

Also, if you still have your old turbo and need to send it back as a core maybe pull the silencer ring before sending it?
I was planning to sell my turbo. I was thinking that I could get more money for it by selling it than sending it back in as a core. Why would I pull the silencer ring if I can't use it?

#46 ·
Never saw any quantifiable data that proved the TAG did anything other than provide a placebo effect. Theoretical applications don't always translate to the real word, too many other variables. On a 3rd gen one could probably create the same results by getting rid of the right angles in the TQ tube, just hard to quantify any gains.

The silencer rings main function was to limit surge at high boost conditions on the tight stock turbo, again it theoretically MAY provide something at lower boost pressures but proving becomes problematic. The small gains postulated get lost in the back ground noise of the variables. Trying to quantify a small gain borders on impossible, one has to literally take it on faith there actually IS a gain somewhere.

#48 ·
Never saw any quantifiable data that proved the TAG did anything other than provide a placebo effect. Theoretical applications don't always translate to the real word, too many other variables.
Here's the data that I found:

"The picture above illustrates air straightened by the TAG entering the compressor wheel. This allows more air to enter the blades of the compressor wheel in a smooth fashion greatly reducing drag and noise on the compressor wheel."

"This flow chart shows an increase of 9% using a TAG-III in a Dodge Cummins. The increased air flow provides up to a 45% reduction in visible smoke, quicker turbo spool up, increased pulling power for towing, lower exhaust gas temperatures and can increase fuel mileage. These results will vary depending on the modification level of the truck, driving habits, load and environmental factors."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.