How hard to replace door lock actuators? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How hard to replace door lock actuators?

My power door locks haven't been working for awhile now so I finally took it to the dealership to diagnose the problem. They tell me all 4 actuators are out(they didn't go out all at once). Was just wondering how hard it would be to install them myself and how long it takes? They were wanting $200 labor to do it so I figured it would be better to do it myself. Anyone replaced them before?

RIP - Early 2004 SRW 3500 6spd CTD 4wd
justinduke is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Also is there anywhere to buy the actuators cheaper than the dealership?

RIP - Early 2004 SRW 3500 6spd CTD 4wd
justinduke is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Not sure about anyone else selling them but they aren't to bad to install, aleast the drivers door isn't. Think it took me about 20 minutes to complete. ROB
Old 09-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I would double check what the stealership told you. Personally I would not believe that all four motors are bad without some further investigating on my part.

Check fuse 28 first since it is the easiest to do. If it looks good swap it or replace it with one of the same value/color. It should be 10 Amp.

If this fixes your problem then you save $$$ and dealing with the stealership!

If not, you are out $4 for a pack of fuses and continue below...

Pull the drivers side door module switch and check the resistance of the switch.

POWER LOCK SWITCH

SWITCH POSITION RESISTANCE BETWEEN CONNECTOR C-1 PINS 7 & 11
NEUTRAL 10 KILOHMS 1%
LOCK 820 OHMS 5%
UNLOCK 330 OHMS 5%
04, Laramie 4x4 QCLB, Directionals in the Mirrors, Smarty SO6 POD, ISSPRO EGT/Boost/Tranny Temp, Quadzilla RP Gauge, Air horns, Boost Elbow, Airbox Mod, 2nd Gen intake, Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, Lost kitty "23 Years US Navy Chief"

Hypertech III for 2004 Dodge Ram Diesel for sale
iccmiller is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Right now you cant manually lock the doors. The locks wont move up or down. Could they be froze up?
beebelawn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

If you can not manually lock any of the doors then you really have a problem and the motors are probably frozen up.
04, Laramie 4x4 QCLB, Directionals in the Mirrors, Smarty SO6 POD, ISSPRO EGT/Boost/Tranny Temp, Quadzilla RP Gauge, Air horns, Boost Elbow, Airbox Mod, 2nd Gen intake, Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, Lost kitty "23 Years US Navy Chief"

Hypertech III for 2004 Dodge Ram Diesel for sale
iccmiller is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I had to replace both of my back door actuators. They are a dealer only item, trust me, I tried.. My drivers side was out, ordered it from the dealer, by the time it came in my passenger side was acting up. Took me about an hour to replace both of them.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebelawn View Post
Right now you cant manually lock the doors. The locks wont move up or down. Could they be froze up?
Even if the motor is froze/bad you should still be able to manually lock them. Sounds like something else is wrong there.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.