A/C Compressor Not working.... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
A/C Compressor Not working....

Hey Guys, This past Friday I was driving in this 110 degree weather and my dang A/C just quit on me. Blowers still working and blowing unbearable hot air. When I got home I checked my compressor and found the clutch not even kicking in. Is there any way I can jump the compressor to check my guages to see if Im low on freon?? I have a vaccum and recovery machine at work. I can use it but just cant check guages without compressor. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Turbo Diesel.
lsutiger365 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

You can check to see if you have refrigerant in it without having the compressor running. Hook up the gauges and let us know what the pressures are.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had the same problem this weekend and found this forum looking for help. Refrigerant charge is good and fuse in the TIPM is good. We pulled the electrical connection to the compressor clutch coil and there is 12v to it any time the key is on, with the a/c switch on or off, but the clutch still will not engage.
I heard on another forum that there is a power module problem that will cause 12v to be on the clutch coil all the time and I guess the clutch burns out because of it.
Anybody else have that problem or if I replace the clutch and/or compressor will life be good again. I'm in the Houston area and it's been 103-104 every day. I need some help.
Thanks
motodad93 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodad93 View Post
I had the same problem this weekend and found this forum looking for help. Refrigerant charge is good and fuse in the TIPM is good. We pulled the electrical connection to the compressor clutch coil and there is 12v to it any time the key is on, with the a/c switch on or off, but the clutch still will not engage.
I heard on another forum that there is a power module problem that will cause 12v to be on the clutch coil all the time and I guess the clutch burns out because of it.
Anybody else have that problem or if I replace the clutch and/or compressor will life be good again. I'm in the Houston area and it's been 103-104 every day. I need some help.
Thanks
I have not looked at a wiring diagram but it is possible the a/c button is controlling the ground for the compressor. Check the other wire at the compressor to see if you have a good ground with the a/c turned on. You can also use a multi meter to ohm the coil on the compressor. If it is burned out it will show as an open.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I checked the voltage at the compressor and no power. Checked the fuse in the fuse box and it is good. Checked the voltage at the pressure switch by the compressor and no power there either. What is the next option? Is there a relay somewhere in between and if there is where is it located? Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

No separate relays in the '06. They are integrated into the power module. They don't want us working on them any more. I took mine to the Dodge dealer this morning and they can't even scan it until next Monday. Lots of broke a/c out there.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey guys, I did another continuity check on my compressor and there is indeed power going to the compressor. So I solved that problem with an electrician at work. I then checked the compressor itself and it showed me that the circuit is in the open. So Im guessing that I do have a bad compressor. Has anyone found a good place to buy the compressor, reciever/drier combo kit anywhere online? I hope I have helped a few of you out there with this problem. I will let yall know how everything goes when I change it. I am an aircraft mechanic and our helicopters have the same ac setup as a car, so hopefully it will be a piece of cake.Thanks for all who have helped on this. Be back soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to lsutiger365 For This Useful Post:
Buck_Monster (06-02-2013)
Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do you remember how many ohms resistance you had when you checked the coil? I can't find a normal value so I don't know what to look for.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

It didnt show anything. It was an open circuit due to the broken coil in the compressor. So my meter read open. It didnt make the full circuit. Sorry. Hey Im in Spring, TX so hit me up if you need some help fixin your problem.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Been here did this over a month ago, ended up having to change the ENTIRE power control module 799.00.

The Mech chased the wiring diagram for HOURS and then consulted someone that deals with electrical problems on vehicles and told him to check the PCM and that was the problem.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

I ordered a compressor today. Hope that fixes it. I found a place online that sells the TPIM for around $200 bucks, if I was looking at the right part. If the compressor doesn't fix it that's next on the list. I got the new compressor and dryer for $350 delivered to my door from ebay. Got that from buyautoparts.com
Old 07-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

had the same prob with no a/c. turned out to be a loose connection in the wiring harness plug at the compressor. my wires get pushed around every time i change my oil filter so they're susceptible to damage
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.