3rd Gen. Isspro EV2 Gauge Install - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
3rd Gen. Isspro EV2 Gauge Install

Gauge Power/Illumination

My first task was getting the gauge pillar wired up and ready to go. I decided to use Weather Pack connectors for all connections to the pillar. This will make it easy to move/remove if need be. I’m still waiting on parts to actually hook up the senders, so for the time being I’m just concentrating on getting the power and illumination circuits installed.

One of the things I like about the ISSPRO EV2 gauge’s is that the power/illumination/ground can be installed in serial, or a daisy chain fashion.

Starting at the bottom we have the Weather Pack with the power/illumination/ground coming into the gauge pillar. It then goes through the ISSPRO lighting harness and finally to the gauges. I left myself enough room on the top so that if I ever install gauges above the rear-view mirror I can just crimp on another Weather Pack connector and be ready to go.

For switched power I used an Add-A-Circuit in the fusebox. I used fuse #30 which was labeled as a spare, but it turns out that it actually isn't a spare. I accidentally forgot to plug it back in and when I started up the truck I got an ABS and E-Brake light on the dash. I took the easy way out and just notched the fuse block and cover. Probably should have drilled a hole and used a grommet, but I don't expect to have any problems.

I don't have a picture of where I mounted the ground but I just reused an existing ground under the dash.

The illumination circuit needs to be tapped into the dimmer wire at the headlight switch. Gaining access to the switch was fairly easy. I just pulled away the plastic dash piece far enough to get a right angle screwdriver behind the headlight switch. Remove three screws and the headlight switch pulls out of the dash. On some trucks the headlight switch will pop out without removing any screws, but mine would not. You definitely want to verify before you go prying on your dash.

On my 2006 this wire is one of the two orange with brown stripe wires. You're supposed to probe the wire to find the one that dims with the gauge cluster. Somehow I managed to probe the same wire twice which led me to believe that neither of them worked. I went back the next day and found the correct wire, as pictured here.

Tapped it with a Posi-Tap and we were good to go.

Dimmer all the way up...

Dimmer all the way down...

Final product. Gauges have power and illumination but no sender connections yet. The gauges will dim with the factory gauges and I can also fine tune the brightness with Isspro lighting harness to get a perfect brightness match.

Last edited by 65StangBoy; 06-24-2009 at 01:11 AM.
65StangBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 65StangBoy For This Useful Post:
dirtydiesel53 (03-26-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Pyrometer

This was the part that I was most worried about but it ended up being super easy. The general consensus is that in order to get a "worst case" reading, it is best to install the thermocouple in between cylinders 5 and 6. This is considered to be the hottest location and thus will give you the earliest indicator of an EGT problem.

Drilling the manifold was very straight forward. I was unable to find the required "R" drill bit locally so I ordered the bit and tap from Diesel Manor along with my transmission line. If you decide to install the thermocouple in between 5 and 6 like I did, you will definitely need a right angle drill or a right angle adapter for your drill. I used an 18V Right Angle DeWalt and it worked perfectly. I started with a very small bit and worked my way up slowly to the "R" bit. I used light pressure on the drill and had a shop vac placed over the hole to vacuum up all the shavings. Once I was finished drilling I used a pen magnet to pick up all the shavings that dropped down into the manifold. I was very surprised by how little there actually were.

Tapping the manifold was a different story. In hindsight I should have greased the tap as a lot of shavings made it into the manifold. It took numerous passes to get the magnet coming out clean.

Now it's time to install the probe insert. Apply anti-seize to the threads and screw in the insert.

Install the probe into the insert doing your best to place the tip in the middle of the exhaust stream. Tighten the nut and you're done.

Last edited by 65StangBoy; 06-25-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Boost Gauge

The boost gauge sender was a relatively simple install. You'll thread the sender into a boost bolt the same as you would with a mechanical gauge. I'd suggest using teflon tape on the boost bolt and the sender. Just make sure that you don't cover up holes. There isn't much clearance back there due to the injector lines but after a little finagling it'll go right in.

The hardest part about this was getting the picture, and it's still crappy.

Last edited by 65StangBoy; 11-27-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Transmission Oil Temperature Gauge

I wanted to get the most accurate reading so I purchased a replacement transmission line from Diesel Manor with a sender port already installed.

Installation was pretty straightforward. Clearances are a little tight around the transmission due to the front driveshaft but take your time and you'll get it no problem. Just make sure you have a drip pan as you'll lose a decent amount of fluid when you remove the old line.

Terminate your two wires going to the sender and you're done.

Finished Product

Gauges wired, Weather Pack connectors terminated, and wires secured.

Weather Pack connectors.

Stick a fork in it.

Last edited by 65StangBoy; 06-25-2009 at 12:29 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 65StangBoy For This Useful Post:
DMAXsmoke (08-11-2010), JHMartin (03-11-2011), Navyshooter (12-26-2009)
Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Can you explain to me how you got them to dim all the way down after i dim mine so far they kind of blink.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerMining View Post
Can you explain to me how you got them to dim all the way down after i dim mine so far they kind of blink.
I didn't do anything special but have noticed that same blinking when dimming the gauges too far down. There is a software update available from Isspro that adjusts the dimming of these gauges. My gauges, and probably yours, will completely turn off when you dim the factory gauges about 1/3 of the way down. This is because the gauges are designed to match up with incandescent bulbs which would go out around 8 volts. Since the 3rd Gen. Dodges have LED back lighting we need to adjust the EV2's to turn off around 3 volts instead, which is exactly what the software update does. I run my factory gauges at full brightness all the time and then adjust the brightness of my EV2's with the Isspro harness to achieve a perfect brightness match. I never turn down my brightness so I will most likely not send out my gauges to be updated. Long story short, I think the new software would help. You can PM "Michael", from Isspro, for more information. I've been going back and forth with him for awhile and he has been a wealth of information.

Last edited by 65StangBoy; 06-24-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i dont believe it would be worth taking the guages out and shipping them off for that...But thanks for the info.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerMining View Post
i dont believe it would be worth taking the guages out and shipping them off for that...But thanks for the info.
I didn't think so either.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Very nice write up.. Time to clear that CEL

http://s629.photobucket.com/albums/uu16/Smokin59L/
Smokin5.9L is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Where did you buy the connectors?

Nice write up. I have some I'm waiting to install, and may get to it this weekend.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Where did you buy the connectors?

Nice write up. I have some I'm waiting to install, and may get to it this weekend.
This was the cheapest place I found. They're actually pretty cheap once you purchase the crimper and removal tool. I used three 3-Pin connectors and one 2-Pin connector.

Power/Ground/Illumination, Pyro, and Boost all got the 3-Pins and the Transmission Temperature got the 2-Pin.

RJM Injection Tech WeatherPack Connectors
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

how come you put your egt probe so far back? good write up and install
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB H.O. (305 HP) CFM intake manifold, 4 inch Silverline Turbo Back Exhaust, AEM Brute Force HD Intake system, ISSPRO Gauges (Boost, Pyro, Trans), Custom grill inserts, Recon smoked cab lights
CummewfwnsSoer04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.