Way to Drain Fuel Tank - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Way to Drain Fuel Tank

does anyone know of a way to drain the fuel tank. there is a white thing on the bottom of my fuel tank that looks like a "U" will that drain it or is there another way. we tried syphening it out and i guess they were made so it cant be done.
hoytarchery7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Easy,

1) Start the Truck and let it warm up a bit (never drain fuel when the motor is cold!!!)

2) Find a LEVEL piece of concrete or asphalt

3) With the truck in gear (automatic), stand on the brake pedal and apply throttle until the wheels start to spin.

4) Continue to hold brake pedal and regulate throttle until engine runs out of fuel.

5) tank is now empty.

DNCII is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNCII View Post
Easy,

1) Start the Truck and let it warm up a bit (never drain fuel when the motor is cold!!!)

3) With the truck in gear (automatic), stand on the brake pedal and apply throttle until the wheels start to spin.

4) Continue to hold brake pedal and regulate throttle until engine runs out of fuel.

5) tank is now empty.

hahaha yea that would work and i have new tires to put on it. but seriously is there a way to drain it?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Fill it up with gas? I don't know how to do it on your truck but search for and read through some threads where people put gas in the tank and see if they said how they drained the tank.
JDiepstra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Fill it up with gas? I don't know how to do it on your truck but search for and read through some threads where people put gas in the tank and see if they said how they drained the tank.

no it doesnt have gas but it has bad fuel there is water in it and the truck wont run right. i would take it back to the place i just filled it at but thats if the truck would even make it there and they probably wouldnt do anything anyhow. oh i just noticed i posted this in the 3rd gen. section dont know why i did that.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

put a hole in the bottom....atleast a .45 caliber....that pught to drain it fairly quick haha.. but seriously...pull your fill neck off and you should be able to siphon from there...
i would actually siphon the tank then pull it out to make sure you get it clean and dry on the inside....water reeks havic on the fuel system... good luck
Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

X's 2, i did that on my moms 02 after she filled it up with gasoline... i used a small jabsco and some garden hose. good luck. you should let that place know they are selling bad fuel? they may also compensate you for it...
2K6 mega cab, 6 spd handshaker, 6" BDS Long Arm, South Bend SDD3250, 5" flo-pro, Smarty jr, 17x9 Fuel Boosts on 37x13.50 Toyo MT's SAC #257 DTR MEGACAB CLUB #207
cumminshakesit is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gear Head / Electrician

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
i drained mine to install the 1/2" pickup by hooking up a pump to the line coming from the tank to the fuel filter. You could also use the stock lift pump by unplugging it and applying 12V from the battery.

There are lots of ways to drain the tank.

Daily rider once my broken wrist heals from a previous motorcycle accident.
2014 BMW K1600GTLE
speed185187 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

now it seems like it doesnt want to start by its self we have to give it a little gas and it will start right off and run fine. but it just needs a little gas and it will start. my dad said its like its loosing its prime somewhere. like fuel isnt getting to it until we give it a little gas and it starts. i said about it might be an injector but he said it wouldnt run right at all if that was the problem. someone said the idle might be too low, how do i adjust it? thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

how about if it has 10 gallons of premium, unleaded in the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNCII View Post
Easy,

5) tank is now empty.
6) How would you drain the tank if there was about 10 gallons of premium gas in the tank?
phoneranger1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 61 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneranger1 View Post
6) How would you drain the tank if there was about 10 gallons of premium gas in the tank?
Drill a hole in the botton let it all run out, then put a screw with a rubber washer in the hole to seal it. Dont ask me how I know this works.
'06 black mega laramie 3500 srw 4x4, fully loaded, 6" superlift, 37" trail graps/22" M81s, AMP steps, true 5" custom duals w/7" tips, Autometers, ATS Stage 6 48re, II 85%, JL 150's, 62/480, HD push rods/springs, Spool Aid/GDP Air Boss/Grid Delete/ATS Arcflow, Airdog II, Amsoil bypass, Wicked coolant bypass, GDP Ladder Bars, Viair dual 480C, Nathan K3LA, Kenwood DNX 9140, JL 10's
560hp/1268tq 4/30/11

Official Build Thread of "Big Black"
cgmorgan06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

the guy i got mine from had put about half a tank of gas instead of diesel in mine. i ran a 1/2 inch hose into the neck, and worked it into the bottom of the tank. drew out the bad fuel and filled mine up with ol' #2 and a full bottle of power service. did this twice and no problems yet...
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.