stacks - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
stacks

im looking into doing stacks on my truck, just wondering what the average cost is, how hard is the install and what i need to worry about, also worked about when it rains and getting water in the exhaust. does anyone have a sound clip on stacks on a stock truck?? and about how much space is killed in the bed....thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
stacks are simple to put in, my setup (5" to 6" stacks) was 350 bucks from a local big rig shop, then each stack was about 150.

install is simple, cut an oval in the bed where the y is going to sit, clamp everything to the bed, put the stacks on and clamp them to the sides of the bed. you'll lose about a foot, and putting a toneau on in the future becomes tricky.

my egts dropped about 200 with daily driving...mine's also straight piped off the turbo.

i don't have a sound clip...but if i did it may blow everyones speakers up!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
How much space do you loose
Depends how close to the bed you mount them, I have 6" Grand Rocks, and I only lost 6" however all together I probably lost 2' cause of my toolbox. Install was easy, you drill a 5 1/2" hole in the bed to mount or if you wanna go lower, you drill an oval as stated above and then the cross tube will sit flush to the bed. Hope this helps, look on you tube there are tons of stack videos.
-Alex
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

what abou as far as rain getting into the stack, also how was the performance/ mileage increase??

as far as aftermarket stacks since i dont know of any shops around here plus i want to do the install myself, what brands do you recomend and what size piping for a stock truck,
Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Well I have 5" TBE to 6" Grand Rock stacks, that was my first upgrade but not for long I would reccomend that, it sounds great and look killer, everyone either goes with 5", 6", 8" I think 5" is to small and 8" is to big, unless its a dually. I have the Aero turbine 5050Xl muffler which has a built in resonator, keeps things very quiet at highway speeds, but still has a nice throaty groan.

Heres what the Aero turbine sounds like

YouTube - Aero Exhaust Diesel Performance Muffler

And as far as Rain getting in the stack, some people drill holes in the bends to let the water seep out, personally I just put sandwich bags over them when i know its gonna rain, or if its raining and iam driving, i just leave it and no probs so far. You can get stack kits at two of the places in my sig.

and heres how to install stacks, anymore questions hit me up.

YouTube - Grand Rock Exhaust Stacks: Chrome Truck Exhaust Stacks

Last edited by DodgeLuvr; 04-02-2009 at 03:15 AM.
DodgeLuvr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 03:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I have 6" Aussies, currently in Lafayette, La with plenty of rain, and so far don't have any soot blown onto my truck. As for the performance/mileage increase, I can't tell you yet. I do hand calculate my mileage on every tank, but I have only had them on for a couple of months, and I'm still having too much fun romping on it all of the time to get some serious numbers. So far it is a 2mpg loss, but I'm sure most of that is from having fun. I won't know for sure until I can run a few tanks without playing.
1998.5 24v 3/4 ton 4wd quad cab long bed 209,xxx miles, Airdog 100, Adrenaline with IQuad, BHAF, 6" Aussie stacks (thanks to FBD) with custom heat shield, auto trans rebuilt for towing, Hornblasters 240 Shocker, occasionally tows 35' 5th wheel...
BuffaloLake is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I found my 6"X46" stacks, adapters, and Peterbuilt style clamps on eBay, then called Gus at Farmboy's for the 4" turbo back to 5" Grand Rock bed kit (approx. $750 total). I custom made the diamond plate heat shield for $150. I lost a total of 8" of bed space, and the heat shields stay cool to the touch at normal driving.
1998.5 24v 3/4 ton 4wd quad cab long bed 209,xxx miles, Airdog 100, Adrenaline with IQuad, BHAF, 6" Aussie stacks (thanks to FBD) with custom heat shield, auto trans rebuilt for towing, Hornblasters 240 Shocker, occasionally tows 35' 5th wheel...
BuffaloLake is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLake View Post
I have 6" Aussies, currently in Lafayette, La with plenty of rain, and so far don't have any soot blown onto my truck. As for the performance/mileage increase, I can't tell you yet. I do hand calculate my mileage on every tank, but I have only had them on for a couple of months, and I'm still having too much fun romping on it all of the time to get some serious numbers. So far it is a 2mpg loss, but I'm sure most of that is from having fun. I won't know for sure until I can run a few tanks without playing.
lol i dont think you will ever be done playing... ive had stacks for over three years and still love getting on it and letting off to hear the turbo spool down
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

thats another question i had is heat, do i have to remove my bedliner? is it gonna be to hot n melt it?

sorry for all the questions i just dont wanna have to spend the money an fix mistakes later
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05BHcummins View Post
thats another question i had is heat, do i have to remove my bedliner? is it gonna be to hot n melt it?

sorry for all the questions i just dont wanna have to spend the money an fix mistakes later
I just cut out parts of my bedliner but I only have a single stack.
JDiepstra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I have a spray in bedliner, and it has not done anydamage, as far as a drop in, i have heard of people putting them in and not having melting issues, but if you are concerned, just cut 1/2" around the stack and youll be good.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
SNAFU

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05BHcummins View Post
what abou as far as rain getting into the stack, also how was the performance/ mileage increase??

as far as aftermarket stacks since i dont know of any shops around here plus i want to do the install myself, what brands do you recomend and what size piping for a stock truck,

I really didn't see any performance or milage gain, unless you count the kickazz sound as a performance gain.

I spent a total of $450 on ebay on my set, Grandrock has the best stacks and I got the silverline T pipe kit because it has a baffle in the T part to split the smoke evenly between the two stacks.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.