Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2003 3500- questions from the test drive

932 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  C Schomer 
#1 ·
Subject truck appears to be a very good deal, 3500 DWR, Quad, NV5600, runs great, NO blow by, start easy, interior and bed are beat to crap, body is rough, 205K So i bought it for $4200

Today I drove about 50 miles. Never drove a diesel truck, never owned anything this big (besides a motorhome)

I have no history on the truck so I may be over-evaluating every little thing.

Taking off from a stop (in 2nd) there is a rattle around 1000 RPMs It goes away and I don't hear it again through the gears. It's a noise I've heard coming from diesel trucks, what is it?

The gearbox seems very tight but definitely not like a car, each gear needs to be pushed in just a little and I had a little trouble finding 6th.

The clutch is very tight, driving in traffic would get old quick, the clutch begins to engage just off the floor and uses almost the whole stroke.

DOes that describe normal operation?

Overall the thing was amazing, so much power, and incredibly quiet inside.

I was mostly on 55 mph two-lanes with a short burst on the slab at 75. At the end of that it was showing 23. I'm running a set of used 235/80/17 as per the door sticker.

thanks

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't answer much about the transmission as I drive an auto, but don't put too much faith in that overhead reading...you'll be in for surprise when you fill up the first time. Most of the overheads are a little over generous when calculating MPG.

#3 ·
It sounds like you got a great deal!:thumbsup: more than likely the clutch is aftermarket with a solid mass flywheel, this is very normal when lugging it down between idle and 1200 (while in gear). It sounds horrible sometimes like the driveline is about to let loose, but its nothing to be concerned about.

#4 ·
There was no dual mass flywheels til the G56. That sounds like normal gear chatter. I drove a friends 03 that had 162K on it and his clutch was WAY harder to push than mine. It makes me wonder about things getting dry and rusty. I've seen a throwout fork with a hole worn thru it from the pivot ball and fork tips worn off from a dragging TO bearing. The pressure plate also has many pivot points. Change the trans juice! They shift bad when it gets too old. RP works GREAT in mine but it might be a little heavy in a cold climate. Penn synchromesh is supposed to be a match for the oem. Take the LT. pto cover off to drain and reach in and get the magnet off the bottom and wipe it off. Refill with 6 qts. Fire away with any other ??? BTW, the R&P ratio is on the glove box door tag, in case you're curious. Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.