Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Rear blinker problem

2K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  macbanner 
#1 ·
Alright I need some help here, my passenger side rear blinker won't work, all others do work. Even the trailer blinkers work, is the trailer blinkers on a separate system? I'm trying to find out how these trucks are wired up in the back, I have searched and heard about a couple of things, but haven't heard about trailer blinkers working and not the truck

Weird

#4 ·
Haha just like to start with the basics :thumbsup:

The trailer lights do have different wiring, which should be why they still work, perhaps a grounding problem? They are common with the taillights on these. Also could be a frayed wire, pop the taillight out and check connection/try tracing the wires best as possible and see if any are damaged.. I'm sure somebody will chime in with the proper wire colour. Also could possibly be the circuit board on the light.

Hopefully this makes up for being that guy lol

Reactions: akray
#5 ·
Haha it's all good man

I tapped into the trailer blinker just to see
And it worked, still blinked rear quick on the dash though. The marker light portion works fine
Just not the blinker haha

Just got the truck 2 weeks ago and it's already a lot of problems
This is just one

#6 ·
Maybe its the actual blinker then? Like the part behind the dash you hear clicking.

What else is it doing? I might not have the answers but can usually find an old thread that's useful haha

#8 ·
Have anybody around you can swap the housing with? Purely troubleshooting now

I meant what else is the truck doing? You said it had other problems, might as well introduce those ones as well lol

Does it have any codes when you cycle the key on and off 3 times?

#9 ·
Sounds wierd but had the same problem a while back and my problem was bulb, but i changed it twice with no luck, it worked after i changed all my bulbs out, wierd but it worked i think cost me 12 to change all of them,I think its worth a try

#10 ·
Rear door lock doesn't work now, electric part.

Hard shifting....very firm

I'm just going to start tracing wiring.

#13 ·
If the door lock is also out I would check tipm, they are very problematic. Didn't see your signature at the start as I was using the app lol do you have any trouble codes? Also how is the battery voltage? Are the battery posts and cable connectors corrosion free?

#14 ·
i have a similar issue however my passenger side blinker works 90% of the time and just randomly stops haven't had a opportunity to open it up and take a look. only way to recreate the issue is to rev the truck a bit in the driveway to shake it a bit once in a while i get it to fail. i will update if i think anything i find will help but just trace the wires you must have a short or break somewhere also meter the plug are you sure there is no power there

#15 ·
Tracing wiring today, as for now till I get it fixed I will just tap into the trailer blinker wiring to at least have a blinker, I don't want a ticket

#16 ·
When you say you don't have voltage at the light, are you checking for voltage at the bulb socket, or are you unplugging the light assembly from the wiring harness and checking voltage at the plug? I'm just trying to rule out the tail light circuit board for failure.

#17 ·
I unplugged the assembly from the plug and checked for voltage, who knows where the wire for the passenger side rear blinker goes? If I inew where it goes I would ohm test it

#18 ·
Odds are you've got a broken wire for the signal light.

I had similar problem with the P/S rear running lights. Found a corroded wire about 12" away from the light socket.

As for the door lock, check the wires in the door boot. Very common failure point on all newer vehicles. Cheap small gauge wire fatigues over time and they break. Likely you'll find more than one broken wire in there.

#19 ·
I have a post on here that is almost like yours except mine is the driver side rear turn signal and I have no other electrical issues. I have power going to my tail light but turn signal is inop. I replaced the bulb as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#21 ·
I've had this occur on both left and right rear blinkers. I just just used my SMARTY to clear DTC's and wallah they worked! If you don't have access to a SMARTY then run down to the local parts store and have them clear your DTC's even if you aren't showing a code light on the dash. Mine never showed anything on the dash, but a quick flash did the trick.

#22 ·
Clearing the code has worked for some but if the problem is your TIPM, your problem will be back soon enough.

#25 ·
I never had codes on mine, but for some reason, just clearing DTC's worked. Give it a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.