Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Steering upgrade questions

945 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  t_j23 
#1 ·
Guy I'm planning on doing some work soon. Bilstein 5100's all around, moog greaseable balljoints upper and lower, moog greaseable axle joints, new sway bar links (broke one) and bushings and also moog track bar bushings while I'm there.

Question is.. Being that I have an 05, should I do the 08.5+ (tie rods, drag link, and I'd also need the pitman arm) or should I do all greasable moog lifetime warranty replacement to my parts? Pros/cons appreciated thanks in advance

#2 ·
Do the Mcquay (sp?) ball joints... someone recently here started a thread on them so you can investigate further. The Moog ball joints dont last long at all on our trucks, I had moog lowers before the lower Carli's came out and they were done in ~70k miles, carli's are the way to go but pricey.

I have had the '08.5 steering on and had no problems with them. Apparently there is a recall on the new setup, not sure what that is all about so you should investigate that as well. Got it here, had no problems with it.

Dodge Upgraded Steering Linkage

I did however have a problem with the linkage & Nitto Terra Grappler tires... wandered like crazy. When I had the procomp xtreme at's on there with the '08.5 steering, no problem so I point to the tires. Currently have the Thuren HD steering kit on there.

HTH

#3 ·
Thank you sir! Just got back on and saw all the top posts about balljoints and steering now. Input is very much appreciated thanks again

#5 ·
If your going to spend that much, get the thuren kit and never look back... It is the best setup you could have on your truck

#6 ·
I recently put 4 moog bjs in and it made my truck way worse than I started with, also I am trying to get them warrantied(they have been in for 2 1/2 weeks and they told me that they have a 30 day return policy and that federal mogul( who bought out the moog name) no longer offers lifetime warranty. Just so you aren't doing the install twice like I will have to on ball joints I'd go the route of xrf, Dynatrac, or if your budget is unlimited as a lot of people on here seem to have then the carlis are guaranteed for life never to fail

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.