Cummins Diesel Forum banner

should i have gotten a mega cab?

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Arth 
#1 ·
I still haven't had my truck for long, maybe a month. I was planning on a mega cab after selling my old one, but the one I ended up buying was in town, had 88k on the clock, and was a Laramie model. I'm having buyers remorse about it and I'm kind of thinking I should have waited it out for the perfect one (2006 mega 4x4 auto in black, silver, or white).

Mega cab owners: benefits? complaints? I know It has more room (duh) but I'd like to know of any other bonuses and any possible draw backs to owning one. does the added weight/length make them more stable off road or are they just too big and hulking? would any mega drivers out there say they're better or worse than a regular old quad cab like mine?

basically I just want to know if I made a better choice with the quad or if I made the "wrong" choice? (I know there really isn't wrong or right, but you all know what I mean) thanks!

#3 ·
I love the extra room in the cab but miss having a long bed. I had a F-350 CrewCab long bed automatic before. The wife hated it but she loves driving my MegaCab

2006 Mega Cab,G56, 4x4

#4 ·
alright with the short bed really. when I'm really moving a lot I move it in a trailer (JROTC owned tandem axle) so the bed isn't a big deal.

95f-350cummins, besides the bed, do you like your mega better than a regular old crew?

#5 ·
I like it because I have a family and extra leg room back there. Also there is extra room for storing stuff behind the seats. They say when you fold the seats down you can but a mattress down sleep pretty comfortably.

I'll admit I drive it so I don't pay much attention back there

2006 Mega Cab,G56, 4x4

#6 ·
I still haven't had my truck for long, maybe a month. I was planning on a mega cab after selling my old one, but the one I ended up buying was in town, had 88k on the clock, and was a Laramie model. I'm having buyers remorse about it and I'm kind of thinking I should have waited it out for the perfect one (2006 mega 4x4 auto in black, silver, or white).

Mega cab owners: benefits? complaints? I know It has more room (duh) but I'd like to know of any other bonuses and any possible draw backs to owning one. does the added weight/length make them more stable off road or are they just too big and hulking? would any mega drivers out there say they're better or worse than a regular old quad cab like mine?

basically I just want to know if I made a better choice with the quad or if I made the "wrong" choice? (I know there really isn't wrong or right, but you all know what I mean) thanks!
Other than a couple of pound difference the Mega cab is the same as a QCLB. Mega=long cab/short bed...QC=long bed/shorter cab.
same wheelbase and underpinnings.
The difference is upstairs in the living quarters.
It's going to be hard for someone else to tell you what is "better". That is a personal "thing". Some days I wish I had more cab, other days I'm glad I don't. I NEVER have enough bed space. Ever truck is compromise in some way, shape or form. What it boils down to is there are too many choices. WWWWWaaaaayyyyy back in the old days we had 4 choices...
long bed, short bed, 2wd, 4wd. Pretty simple.

#7 ·
rdefayette- I totally agree on everything you said, especially when it comes down to being a personal thing. for me, I think I should have gone with a mega unfortunately because I'm 6'4" and you know theres no way the rest of my family is short.. I would like larger rear door openings as well which is why I'm really kind of distraught that I didn't get one. but, on the other hand they are heavier which usually means a drop in mileage and other things associated with high-weight. just curious, what are some situations you're glad you don't have a mega?

#8 ·
Weight wise the QCLB (what I have) is pretty close (especially for a truck) to the same weight as a MegaCab. So that's all but a wash. I would love the extra cab room BUT I haul a lot so the longer bed is/was the deciding factor for me. More cab or more bed? For me longer bed/more bed/more hauling space. I guess it just depends. I have people in the back griping sometimes about the space (lack of) but IMO tough, it's easier for me when I'm hauling and they're not in the truck then anyway. (work to be done they all disappear..go figure?)

#9 ·
thanks, I definitely see why you'd want a long bed. unfortunately, I still think I should have gotten a mega. but, the real "one that got away" was a 1998 12v with a built suncoast/revmax trans and twins. it was a beaut but bad timing for me (right around the gov. shutdown issue)

#10 ·
If Ram EVER makes the Long Ranger THIS is what I would REALLY like to get!!!

Mega Cab, 8' Bed PLUS (IIRC, the tank size) a 110 gallon aux fuel tank between the bed and the cab.
Everything I need in 1 neat little (ok, big) package.

Reactions: simplysmn
#12 ·
I wish I had gotten a MegaCab. I mean I love my truck, but boy would that extra room in back be nice.

I'd still like to get one and do a longbed conversion...they look sweet and has the most functionality.

#14 ·
I'm thinking once I'm out of college and have had a job for a whole (hopefully Navy Aviation but we'll see) I'll get a nice 3rd or 4th gen that's a mega. They just look cooler to me than a quad cab and it is like having a couch back there.. Plus if I get a 6.7L the 6 speed auto would be nice, 4 speeds just makes me feel so limited

#15 ·
If you don`t need a long bed then MEGA CAB all the way!! I always wanted to get 1 since the came out! I love my 08 , wouldn`t trade for anything! Well maybe a mega cab that was the beautiful BLUE color!! I wanted the blue , but ended up with silver. Got to love the MEGA CAB!!! :thumbsup:

#16 ·
I love my mega as well but then again I also just bought a qclb so we will see how the two compare! Honestly as already stated I don't think there is all that much difference between the two as a whole other than the obvious bigger cab or bigger bed!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 ·
Loghomeman- that's a really nice looking mega! I love the blue too but I hated my old one (bright red, made insurance more expensive) I really want one Identical to mine but a mega. Possibly a 6.7 because they have a 6 speed but I better wait a while before I get another

Jbutch- you'll have to come back to this thread in a few months and let me know how they compare! What years do you have?

#21 ·
Jbutch- you'll have to come back to this thread in a few months and let me know how they compare! What years do you have?
My mega is an 07 and the qclb is an 06.....my kids hate the qc compared to the mega!!

#18 ·
Cab difference between the QC and Mega made the choice easier for me. The crew and Mega are much closer in comparison, especially since I have both now. If you need an 8' bed, the crew cab is close enough to the Mega. Unfortunately, it looks like your choice in powertrain does not give you the CC option.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 · (Edited)
There's a mega long conversion on eBay motors. 2007 5.9 6 speed iirc.
It's white and looks pretty good

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Edit it's an auto

#22 ·
I need a longbed all the time. My next truck will be a mega longbed conversion. Best of both worlds...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.