Cummins Diesel Forum banner

exhaust brake time I need help!

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  07w5.9 
#1 ·
Ok I have alot of questions about this
2007 5.9 auto Tran fully built , 4 inch exhaust, banks 6gun

1 what's better one that runs off a pump off the front of the motor like the banks or one off of a air compressor
2 I was hooked on banks brake but I see alot of people having problems with the pump on the motor. Is this true
3 I have a aftermarket 4 inch exhaust is that a problem
4 I already have on board air can I get a kit with out it and save money
5 My truck is a 07 5.9 do I need parts to make the truck talk to the brake for lock up?
Do they all help with warm up like my buddy's 6.7

What's the best brake for my truck 2007 5.9 with 4inch turbo back and a banks 6 gun and a fully built auto trans

Thanks !!

#3 ·
I sold pacbrake for 20 years... and I told customers that you should consider only those brakes where the manufacturer makes both engine brakes and exhaust brakes for the OEM... there are only 2 that qualify.... PacBrake and Jacobs... they both have extensive engineering with the OEM's that give them the inside track... the Jacobs unit uses a vacuum pump that can cause problems...

Call Jim Foster at PacBrake.... get their number off their web site and tell them you already have an on board air system.... if you still have the stock exhaust elbow than get the direct mount.. that replaces that elbow with a brake... if you have an aftermarket turbo and other mount get an inline brake...

After 20 years of selling their product I don't think I ever had a un-happy customer.. I sold a lot of units to the guys on the TDR... you'll be very happy I'm sure.. if you have specific questions post them and I'll get back here and answer them....

#5 ·
No extra electronics needed. 06 and up exhaust brake was a factory option ( built into turbo on 6.7 engines)

So the ECM is fully programmed to control the exhaust brake. As long as you have an auto it is painless. You turn it on and let the computer do the work of activation. Two pins on the ECM to connect. One is a switched ground to tell the ECM when you want the system on and off, and the other is the actual brake activation signal.

Installed mine myself in about five hours. Hardest part was getting the v bands off and getting the new exhaust elbow into position.

#7 ·
By going with a vacuum actuated exhaust brake your using old technology (fixed orifice) what this means is you will only have retarding at RPM of 1900 and above. Our air actuated brake regulated the brake butterfly down to around 1100 RPMS for full retarding performance through the entire Rpm band. Also because we regulate our butterfly during the retarding even rather then stopping it at 90 deg in the harsh exhaust environment you have less chance of the brake building up carbon up and sticking in the on position over time.

#9 ·
I have a Jacobs I just took off my 06 if anyone wants to buy it the vacuum pump is about a year old as is the belt that goes with it. You will need to find installation directions. I had the dealer install it when I bought the truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.