Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Trouble with Check Engine Light

768 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  modified8 
#1 ·
I went to get my truck smog-ed and failed because my MIL (check Engine light) was not working when the key is first turned on with the engine not running.
I posted already once but I guess I put it in the wrong place and someone got upset and deleted it.
If this is not the right place please let me know where you want me to put it.
thanks any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Update on MIL

I'm entering this to help those who may run into the same Problem. When I turn the key to start my truck the check engine light would not go on. It's suppose to go on for about three seconds and then go off. If you go to get smog check like in California this is a Visual check that the mechanic must input into the computer. This will make you fail the test.
After checking around I found that the instrument cluster was the problem, so I called the dealer for a new Cluster if available. Well there not but a rebuilt is. If you let the dealer pull your Cluster and he sends it out, you get a rebuilt one in a couple of days. The labor is about $300.00 and the rebuilt part is about $738.00 for a repaired cluster.
I've gotten to where I can pull the cluster in about 7 minutes and I found that the dealers send their modules and instrument clusters to outside repair shops so I called around and found one. They repaired the cluster and charged me $140.00 and 20 minutes later I had my truck together and ready for a smog check. I passed. good luck all. Hope this helps

#4 ·
Thank you for doing your own leg work and finding an answer, But we still don't have any info as to what Trucks this pertains to.

#6 ·
Update on Smog Problems

I have found that this repair really doesn't repair the problem. The problem is in the computer and the dealers are fixing it with a false fix. The way they fixed it when or if the trouble light goes on so will the brake light.
My understanding is that this is going on across the country at all dealers. If I can't get fixed right at a dealer then where can I go?
The same thing goes for the changing your antifreeze, they all seem to be using tap water instead of distilled that is required. I know this because I called Dodge directly. That means that the antifreeze may last for 2 years instead of 5 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.