Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Best Brake Pads

14K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Mik G 
#1 ·
I am going to be replacing my brake pads soon and I was wanting some opinion on what is the best pad for the best price. I am looking at EBC greenstuff but if there are ones just as good from the locale store that would be great. thanks for the advice. also I would like to stay away from ceramic ones.

#3 · (Edited)
I just replaced the oem front pads on my 2005 with 100k miles on them. The pads were just ready to replace (maybe had about 2000 miles left on them) The rotors were slighlty worn, but even and true...took em by a respected brake shop, they mic'ed them and told me there was no need to turn them, but next time there would STILL be enough meat left on them to turn them if I needed to. Put another set of oem PREMIUM Mopar pads (NOT the value pads, those suck), and the truck is good to go for ANOTHER100k miles with excellent stopping power, no noise, minimal dust and even rotor wear...I REALLY can't argure with success...no reason to put anything else on my truck but the orginal pads...got part#'s if you want 'em, just ask.

#6 ·
Here ya go, part #'s for the Mopar PREMIUM (what cam eon the truck!!) pads--

05093267AA full set--FRONT Disc Brake Pads

05093257AA full set--REAR Disc Brake Pads

Torque specs--

Caliper pins 24 ft*lb.
Caliper mounting bolts are 130 ft*lb.

I got mine from my local desalership who price matched Discount internet prices, about $125 for the front set. They DOI cost more then many aftremarket brands, but again, I coudn;'t argue with success, and $125 for 100k miles is NOT bad at all

If you google the part #, you can find the supplier who offers it for the least.

#7 · (Edited)
Wagner thermo quiets here. $53 for the front set. Just put on my second set and love them. Last set got 50k out of them with aggressive driving habits, in town a lot and at least 50 shutdowns after 1/4 mile races. With this turbo, the engine brake effect is basically gone. No noise ever until the wear tab hits. Mild dust. Available at any parts store. The EBC have a lot of marketing hype behind them. I go with what the parts store recommends as their best(I'm not talking about pep boys or advance). Those guys are idiots. I mean your local small time parts store. I'd rather save money than pay for a monstrous marketing campaign. Nothing needed but high end off the shelf stuff IMO.

If it was a consistent race application I'd be looking at Hawk. They dust a bunch more but they bite real hard. Had them on previous cars. They will make noise sometimes too.

Reactions: SilverFox66
#10 · (Edited)
Dude, I have to say Kudos, and thanks :thumbsup:

You write some of the most informative posts, describing your experiences, that I have ever seen. Whether people agree with your view or not, no one can whine because you werent clear and descriptive :thumbsup:

As for me.... most of my parts come from NAPA. A good friend of mine is the best mechanic I have ever seen. Whether I do my own work, or its something I have him do..... I always get 95% of my parts through him @ discount. I had him get the top of the line NAPA ceramics for me. When I bought my truck, it needed ball joints, and brakes all the way around. So I had him turn the rotors and install the NAPA pro ball joints, and order me 3 sets of brakes. We put the best ceramic all the way around, except for e-brake shoes. Thats been almost a year and a half ago, and about 18K miles. So far so good. The ceramic still hold just as they did when new, and have a lifetime warranty :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Brake pad dust, and pad wear are by products of the brake pads actually working. So "low brake dust, long pad life" and "great stopping power" will never go in the same sentence unless "or" is put between them.

That being said...I LOVE the EBC green stuff pads. Much much improvement over the Wagner Thermoquiet's. They do have more brake dust than the Thermoquiet's. The Armour-All wheel protectant is great at keeping the brake dust at bay.

#9 ·
Brake pad dust, and pad wear are by products of the brake pads actually working. So "low brake dust, long pad life" and "great stopping power" will never go in the same sentence unless "or" is put between them.
Well said. I don't ever need extra stopping power so I go for the low dust, long life idea. I never tow so don't need the extra bite.

#12 ·
Thanks bud. I'm a wordy mofo on the forums but I try to be descriptive like you say.

Reactions: SilverFox66
#14 ·
#16 ·
not a peep. did you get the good ones, or cheap ones?

#20 ·
Semi-Metallic - Compromise of noise, dust, wear. Most popular.

Ceramic - Better wear, better performance, noisy tendencies

Organic - Kevlar for example, dusty, quiet

There's always a chance I misplaced a characteristic. To the best of my knowledge that's what I can come up with for you

#21 ·
I just bought the:
Wagner Thermo Quiet
Made by Federal Mogul in USA
Mx965 for the front
Mxro2a for the rear

had them installed on my 2005 dodge diesel 2500, 2x4
truck has 80K miles, it was still stopping good, no noise, but the front pads were about gone,

at first the new pads were smooth, but after a few days I started to feel a vibration when I stopped, like you sometimes get when your rotors need turning.

why would this be as the old mopar pads were smooth.

I am pulling the camper on a 600 mile trip this weekend, if they have not smoothed up by my return, I will either have the rotors dressed or replaced.

I do not like the vibration, but they do stop good and no noise.

maybe I should have gone back to dodge for the pads.

I used to have Toyota pickups and the only pad that ever worked on those little trucks was Toyota pads. there was no sense in even wasting your time with anything else.

#22 ·
I just bought the:

Wagner Thermo Quiet

Made by Federal Mogul in USA

Mx965 for the front

Mxro2a for the rear

had them installed on my 2005 dodge diesel 2500, 2x4

truck has 80K miles, it was still stopping good, no noise, but the front pads were about gone,

at first the new pads were smooth, but after a few days I started to feel a vibration when I stopped, like you sometimes get when your rotors need turning.

why would this be as the old mopar pads were smooth.

I am pulling the camper on a 600 mile trip this weekend, if they have not smoothed up by my return, I will either have the rotors dressed or replaced.

I do not like the vibration, but they do stop good and no noise.

maybe I should have gone back to dodge for the pads.

I used to have Toyota pickups and the only pad that ever worked on those little trucks was Toyota pads. there was no sense in even wasting your time with anything else.

Maybe it was a bad install. No one else has problems with these pads. But there are always and batches who knows. I've also never re used rotors

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#23 ·
Did turn your brake rotors? If not, Your previous pads made a certain wear pattern on the rotor. The pads are flat on a non-flat surface. This will cause braking issues. I always turn the rotor when doing a brake job. No one can simply Mic a rotor and tell you it's perfectly flat. They can only say it has enough material or not to be turned again.

2006 Mega Cab,G56, 4x4

#24 ·
my experence.
If you tow. do not put ceramics on the stock(cheap) rotors. ceramics grenarate a lot of heat. The stock rotors will warp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.