Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Would you Paint it

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  T Bell 
#1 ·
So I have a 2005 pretty much unmolested truck no real upgrades a leveling kit
wheels and tires the truck has a few little bumps and bruise scratches and I would like to get the truck back to showroom shine with fixing all dents and having it repainted so for the ? would you do it. Repaint is about $6000 I have 109000 miles tranny has not been rebuilt Thanks Aaron

#6 ·
If it were me, I'd save up for the tranny 1st. Then when you have done that, save up for the paint job. That way, if the tranny goes, it won't be a pain to get it replaced right after your new paint job. Bu that's how I think.

#8 ·
I'm have the whole truck stripped cause it was painted once before by a hack, a sizable dent taken out by third brake light, and all the little dents here and there taken out. to do all that and clean any rust I'm paying 6300. taking it in the end of may, its a lot to pay but it needs it.

#10 ·
yes, I have a little bit of rust started above each wheel well between the two pieces of metal where they ninety in and same thing under each passenger door. said they will remove every ounce of rust for me. they are a highly recommend place, ill pay this time so I dont get hosed like last time. now I need to do something with the frame.

#13 ·
The Por15 you can paint in sections. Tough stuff. It's a brush on deal but you can spray it if you thin it alittle. It still needs a topcoat, though, because it isn't UV rated. So it'll chalk up on you if you don't put a paint on top of it.

#14 ·
If you use por 15 on the frame and under the truck, you wont have to top coat it since the bottom of the truck doesnt see the sun unless your doing something very wrong. Por 15 is a good product that ive used personally and works great. Just follow the instructions for best results.

#16 ·
Not tryin to start a pissin match but por 15 only needs top coated if the area painted is in the direct sunlight. Your frame isnt. I will say that por 15 has a shiney black finish and frames dont come shiney from the factory. They come in more of a matte black. Some rattle can sem trim black is a nice matte black if your after a factory style look. Otherwise, the por 15 can be applied without top coating since its the frame. If it was a bumper or body panel, then yes, It would need a top coat. Just to be clear.

#17 · (Edited)
No pissing match. OP can check it more thoroughly and make a decision. But when I was doing the frame on my 442 9 yrs ago, the tech person I spoke with said even on the frame it would need a topcoat or it would chalk. They may have improved it since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.