Cummins Diesel Forum banner

600Hp - 700HP guys.... step on in here....

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  07-5.9-6spd 
#1 ·
You guys who run 600 - 700Hp or more......

1) do you run this (your max HP) daily, or do you tune it down for a daily driver?

2) do you notice any more issues with your truck, than you did when stock? And Im not talking to the guys who race/pull every weekend. It would be easy to guess you guys tear stuff up on a more frequent basis :thumbsup:

3) How does your truck do economy wise on fuel? And I mean, hand calculated averages for an extended period.... not "I got 22mpg going downhill to Georgia one time for 200 miles... on the overhead"... sort of thing lol.

Ive just always been curious as to if you guys leave your truck turned up, and what kind of fuel mileage you "actually" get.

I know I can get over 20mpg pulling my 4500lb boat on good road @ 52mph, but I wont average that for the entire trip/tank. By the time I get to a tourney and put the boat in/out several times, idling here and there, I end up between 17 & 18mpg for the average for the entire trip.

I also know I can get 25mpg+ empty @ 52mph on good road, but again, wont "average" that for an entire trip/tank..... unless I filled up, got on the highway, ran the tank out, and got right off the highway and filled up again.

This isnt a "argue about fuel mileage" thing... Im just curious to see if anyone actually keeps legitimate track of their mileage etc... and if there is a difference between you and stock. If so, what the difference is. Thanks :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
1. I run my one and only tune all day every day. I don't tow ever so no need to detune. I think I'm right at 600 now but not sure for another two weeks.

2. Aside from transmissions nothing power related. Only mileage related failures.

3. My daily commute to work is very slow as I get downtown and lots of lights. If I have a trip with only work commuting I see 15-16mpg. If I have a full tank of highway 18-19mpg is common. Mileage has decreased with these big injectors but my tune focuses on spool and not mileage. Before them I was seeing 19-21mpg highway and 16-18 on work commute. This turbo doesn't help mileage either. With a smaller turbine wheel I'd think I could get better mileage in town. When first putting the injectors in I had 3 tanks in the 13-14mpg range but that was the "honeymoon" with the injectors doing it.

And clutch fan is deleted.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

In all honesty, only losing 1mpg - 2mpg seems very good to me, considering youve almost double your HP :thumbsup:

I was just wondering, as I could understand a 700HP guy tuning his truck down for a DD if it meant picking up some fuel economy

#5 ·
I was just wondering, as I could understand a 700HP guy tuning his truck down for a DD if it meant picking up some fuel economy
You could bet ur @ss if I had the option of CSP-5 I'd be on an economy tune most of the time. Loading up different tunes with the smarty is too much of a PITA. I'm a one tune man due to a simple production date.

#4 ·
I dynoed my truck on the tune I daily drive with and did 690/1200.

Hand calculated I do 22mpg.

I never really broke anything while I owned it and drove at that power for 3 years. But the new owner broke the transmission, radiator, fuel pump, and trans gauge within five months of owning it. So it was either on its way out or he was just a kid and abused the crap out of it. I would guess option B. Bc the truck was awesome while I had it.

#7 ·
If you want to switch UDC tunes you have to hook the handheld up to a PC w/ dongle plugged in, load the econ tune, then load it into the truck. The handheld can only hold 1 UDC tune at a time. So when I wanna go romp around I have to put the hot tune back on the handheld, etc. I only have a PC at work so... The actual uploading from PC only takes 9 seconds. But then its about 5 minutes in to the truck again. I drive this truck because it puts a big ole smile on my face every time I drive it. Econ tune on a regular basis wouldn't do that.

#8 ·
understood, thanks :thumbsup: I didnt know the programmer only holds one tune.... that sux

#9 ·
to heck with switching tunes all the time. im not near crazy power, but when i had the bullydog, it never left high, and now with csp5 daily drive on high, tiny trailers on high, and big trailers i turn it down a couple. and im with u there, that every time i hop in i get a smile, no sense in havin more power if u just turn it down all the time.... 18mpg overhead says btw, been prob 3 weeks since reset

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.