Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Shakin while brakin

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  funfamily 
#1 ·
Title explains it. Every time I brake it's like I have death wobble. If I let go of the steering wheel you can watch it shake. Past reading on here suggested rear drive shaft u-joint replacement but as much as I trust this forum, I can't wrap my head around how that would make my front end shake so bad. All lugs are tight, and new bj's about 10k miles ago. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
To check hubs
Old school way pull on wheel top and bottom see if you feel any movement.

Technical way going to need dial indicator gauge and some sort of stand so dial touches rotor/hub surface .
For rotor measurement put lugs back on to hold rotor down, pull on and spin rotor while watching dial, Repeat with rotor off on hub bearing surface.
info from skf website says,
80 microns = .00312 of an inch "runout" for rotor hub assembly ,
10 microns =0.00039 of an inch on hub bearing itself.
http://www.skf.com/binary/30-62168/TT10_003.pdf

At least around me, thanks to the flood of import parts, no one machines rotors any more. I replaced my rotors with Power Slots from Centric, and Hawk (red ) Superduty pads. They were the only parts still made in US that I could find/afford.
Do yourself a favor make sure abs/caliper hardware is functioning and in good shape.
Good luck and let us know how you make out!

#9 ·
Does your steering wheel shake when you brake? That is a sure fire way to tell your rotors are warped.

#11 ·
Then you should take the rotors and have them turn ".005-".010 off and have them show you the rotor.........if warped you will see machined patches and untouched patches. Then if they still have enough "meat" left you can true them up. But you will need new pads too.

#13 ·
I made the mistake of putting ceramics on the stock rotors. looks like they generate to much heat for them. lesson learned. 20,000 mile and now shaking while braking. Power slot and hawks for me...

#14 ·
Once again, thanks to all who replied. I replaced the rotors with the O'Reilly brand (white box with no markings on it), sanded down the EBC green pads to make them smooth, and the first 100 miles have been shake free. I did notice some grooves on the passenger side inside rotor side. When I sanded down the pads, all four were not wearing evenly at all, many ridges and valleys. Hit everything with a quick spray of Brake cleaner, and all seems well.
The rotors haven't made it in to be checked due to time constraints, but still curious what the parts store will say about them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.