Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Steering Upgrade + Ball Joint Questions

9K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  Fisherguy 
#1 ·
I'm sorry to make a new thread as I am sure this has been beaten like a dead horse around here.

I'm a new owner to a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500, still basically stock.

I had it in for an inspection, I was told "all steering joints are loose except for left side tie rod ends"

I am looking into the upgraded steering packages available but I am not sure if that's all I need? So I am asking what exactly do I need for my truck to upgrade the steering.

I was also told the ball joints are shot, and I am looking at going with the Carli ball joints unless someone can recommend someone else?

I'm also in Canada so is there a source that deals with better shipping options to Canadians?

Regards and many thanks

#2 ·
do the 08.5 steering upgrade, carli bjs, spicer u joints and a steering brace. should tighten things up a lot. if you need tie rod ends now is the time to do them. I dont know who for that but I'm sure someone else will chime in. I can tell you from past experience do everything once with quality parts and you will be good a long time. cheap out and you'll be back in there 50k later, your on the right track with carli bjs.

#12 · (Edited)
I do believe the 08.5 steering upgrade from Mopar is being recalled at the moment. Am I wrong? Here is the thread.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/1011426-recalled-recall.html

These components you are asking about have to be decided on what you are doing with your truck. Price and practicality. As for the steering I dont see a problem with Moog components. They are not cheap, but they are not extremely expensive. They also contain a lifetime warranty with no real questions asked.
Now from what I have gathered on ball joints. Seems that Carli is the way to go hands down. But.... What are your plans with what you are doing with the truck? If guys are getting 150k to 200k on a set of Moogs, you can get them around 350 bucks. Fully lifetime warranty.

#3 ·
I would definitely suggest the Carli ball joints as the lifetime warranty against wearing out is a no brainer. You can always check the price on the 2008.5 steering at your local dealer. Hopwever, we do offer free shipping on some of the Carli parts north of the border!

#4 ·
I appreciate the help. Yeah I want to do everything at once but I want to be able to get all the right parts at the same time so I don't have to chase things down. I guess I am looking for someone to tell me what to get and give me a list, haha.

#5 · (Edited)
Ball Joints:
Carli ball joints upper and lowers

Steering:
You can upgrade to the 08.5 steering links (drag link & Tie Rod with all ends)
I did that steering upgrade and wasnt too impressed. Im going to order full cross over steering this summer, seems to be the way to go. You cannot use stock wheels however, you will need aftermarket wheels with less back spacing, or a spacer

Axle Joints:
Spicer

Track Bar:
Im not sure what upgrades are available for stock application, but if your running a spacer id go with an adjustable track bar,

KIT:
Carli has a front end kit with upper and lower ball joints, new track bar and a stabilizer

#10 ·
Sorry that carli kit with the track bar and stabilizer would be in addition to the Mopar steering linkage upgrade ?

Should I do anything regarding the steering box itself at the same time or am I safe to wait until a later date ?

Yes, if your steering linkage needs to be replaced, it would be in addition to the carli kit.

If your box isnt giving you any problems, run it.

#7 ·
I am thinking of the following:
Raybestos ball joints (appear to have a lifetime warranty as well and signifcanty better for my budget)
Mopar steering upgrade
Redhead steering box
Spicer u joints

Considering steering braces which ones would you guys recommend ? Also tie rod ends ?

#8 ·
Steering brace go as cheap as possible. I found one for about $150 on ebay. Ball joints there is only 2 true options. Dynatracs or carli joints all others don't exist. I actually don't mind my y style steering with all moog links and ends.

#9 ·
if your happy with the raybestos go get em. I only got carlis cause I got one heck of a deal, free. Otherwise i wouldnt be able to run them, Out of my police income.

#11 ·
Hey Guys has anybody used the Lukes Link tie rod end rebuild kits?? Looks impressive. My truck has the Y style but all the tie rod ends and joints are completely shot.

Plus why go for an adjustable track bar? Poly bush the OEM not good enough? Or do you need adjustment if your lifted??

#13 ·
Most of it will be daily driving. Not using it haul big loads in time it will pull a boat and or rv trailer but nothing excessive....honestly nothing it was designed for. I have no plans for changing it up I'll leave it as stock as possible but if there are longer lasting stock replacement parts I will think about choosing those instead.

#14 ·
I definitely would not recommend Moog BJ's, and contrary to what was posted above there are other options to BJ's then just Carli and Dyna's. My stock BJ's lasted 8 years, paying 800 bucks for Carli's seems a little extreme IMO.

The 8.5 steering IS recalled again, seems the "new & improved" indexed driver's TRE has a problem, the new kits sold by these guys include the new solution:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/allmoparparts-com/605764-steering-upgrade-kits-52122362ag-ah.html

If your steering box is fine leave it, a steering box brace is a good idea.

#15 ·
Why would you not recommend moog ball joints opposed to stock? It seems like you are recommending factory parts that cannot be maintained. By this I mean grease fittings. I wouldn't recommend any parts you cannot maintain. Seems to me that your stock ball joints that lasted 8 years should be in a museum/hall of fame.

#16 ·
Moog are splined and can mess up the bores for good joints. Stock ones are junk. Brand new one can have as much play as the ones you just drove out. I wouldn't consider any joint other than the dynatracs or carli. My moog were pretty new when I junked them because one had play already. The dynatracs and rebuildable without press them out and the carli have a lifetime warranty. When I bought my dynatrac joints from George at 8 lug trucj gear I asked about the rebuild kit and he said he's sold a lot of the dynatracs, but not a rebuild kit yet. He also said he's sold a ton of carli joints which by the way there hasn't been many warrantied. Sometimes you really get what you pay for. First hand what I've seen you don't want to cheap out with these trucks.

#19 · (Edited)
I'd stay away from any knurled design.
People were posting their steering wheels wouldn't return after turning a corner with the Moog BJ's. Carli cut apart a Moog and posted the pics on here somewhere, wasn't good.

Reactions: dixon700
#18 ·
I thought I put Moog bj's in mine, but after looking at the paper work again, I put NAPA pro lines in it. I thought Moog made them for NAPA, but from what I have read, Dana/Spicer makes NAPA chassis parts

#21 ·
I think they do, but not sure. This is the brace I put on mine.... worked great and half the price of others :thumbsup:

#22 ·
Don't get moogs, and watch out for part numbers that are something like k47....I just spent a lot of time and money putting 4 moog bjs in to fix a small, small amount of play that my tire place recommended I get fixed before buying my new tires so I bought the moogs from rock auto, put them in and it made my truck so much worse to drive I would have rather had the loose ones back. They will not center back and require a lot of steering input to drive right. After looking into it, it seems to be a problem with moog since the federal mogul buyout. I will be returning mine and getting something else but Carlis are way out of my budget range, also rock auto said I only have 30 days to return them and said nothing as far as lifetime warranty with moog anymore

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
I have a 06 2500 QCSB smarty tuner, 4'' MBRP turbo back, 2'' leveling kit, 35'' NItto trail Grapplers that I've owned since 12/09 with 47k. i replaced the bj, tie rods and ujoints around 60k when two reputable shops said the bj were bad. I replaced everything with moog: ujoints, bjs and tie rods. The whole front suspension is sloppy and only put around 40 k on them when they really started getting bad. Truck has 109k and have been accumulating parts since november to replace. I've ordered Thuren adjustable trac bar and control arms which were on back order for over two months. KYB monomax shocks and stabilizer shock. 08.5 steering upgrade after recall setup. Going to be buying Spicers ujoints but am still unsure which ball joints since carlis are tempting but I dont haul much and mostly on pavement.

Are adjustable bj's an option or do I stick with the OEM style??? Heard good things about Raysbestos, Dynatrac, even the NAPA ones. Any suggestions??? Thoughts of the setup I'm running??

#36 ·
#33 ·
I've hear Napa Premium BJ's are re-branded McQuaty Norris but I don't know for sure..?
Unless your front diff is bent you don't need adjustable or offset BJ's.

#34 ·
Thanks I wasnt sure. The last time it was aligned it all seemed fine but with the size potholes that are like craters here after winter I wouldn't be surprised what other issues will arise when I go to do this next week.

With the truck having 109k now and I only replaced one hub around 60k do to beating the hell out of them to get them off would you suggest replacement or let them be until they fail? one is original and other replaced with OEM. Antiseized everything very well but who knows how it all comes off and what additional parts will need replacement.

Opinions on end links? synergy?

#37 ·
I think I'll go with the McQuay Norris since i also havent heard anything bad about them.

I received the Thuren control arms after a back order but thanks for the other option. I plan on keeping it for a while, but always try and do everything right to all my vehicles whether I keep them for a long time or a little while.

#38 ·
having a hard time finding McQuay Norris bj's??? Called the local parts stores and carquest only carries the service (cheap version) and said they carry the raysbestos and moog. Anyone know where you could still purchase the McQuay Norris professional grade in the blue box???

Called the number on McQuay Norris site and was told by the company they have taking calls that he didnt know where to purchase McQuay Norris bj's. Only thing the guy had mentioned was that the professional grade raysbestos without the "B" in the part number was the same as the McQuay Norris on rockauto. Anyone experiencing the same issue trying to locate the professional grade ball joints by McQuay Norris???

#39 ·
Reactions: Mikeyg21
#41 ·
Just got off the phone with Napa and she said they are made by Affinia. Who I guess is their main source now, but after googling them they own raysbestos. So according to what I read Raysbestos, and McQuay Norris are all owned or at least handled through Affinia for Napa and probably other dealers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.