Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel guage quit working

866 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rustangfb 
#1 ·
04 2500. Fuel gauge quit working one afternoon at about 1/4 tank. Light stays on & needle shows empty even thru about 6 fillups since. Held trip reset button & turned ignition on & gauge does move to F then back to E so I guess this indicates the gauge does work. What about grounds?
The truck has a BD electric fuel pump on the frame rail & I removed the lift pump from the fuel filter canister. So is the part in the tank just the sending unit? I have not had Dodge put their retrofit kit on the truck.
Does this sound like a sending unit issue?

Any suggestions.

thanks

#3 ·
Since the 04 I have does not have the pump in the tank, Dodge sells just the float/sending unit for $95. They claim it unbolts from the plastic housing ( or whatever it's called) that drops into the tank & the new one bolts on. Has anyone done this to confirm. How does the wiring work?

This past weekend, in another 04, I changed the fuel pump sending unit assembly but this was a truck that Dodge had previously retrofitted with the in tank version. It's sending unit was wired in conjunction with the power for the pump, up to the same 4 connector electrical connector that I have in mine.

thanks

#4 ·
all sending units are in the tank....its attached to that arm that goes up and down reading the fuel level in the tank; regardless if the lift pump is in the tank or not. :thumbsup:

give your vin to the dealer and have them help you get a part number specific to your truck and then use google for a cheaper price.

Reactions: Rustangfb
#5 ·
fuel guage quit working

Thanks for the response bigtexss. I was asking though to confirm if the float sensor just unbolts from the remainder of the assembly it hangs on but I guess it does.

I was reading some of your other responses on electrical issues. I keep blowing power seat fuses after about a week, with the drivers seat being the only one operated and my rear passenger door no longer operates the dome light.
Any suggestions here?

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.