Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Read this!!! New steering, bad reasults!!

3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  wantabe351 
#1 ·
Truck 1- 05, 2.5 leverling kit. Got death wobble. Installed the steering up grade linkage dual stablizers new ball joints new hubs new alingment. Truck still gets it on the highway above 65mph and shakes between 60-70 mph

Truck 2- 04.5, 2.5 leveling kit, adjustable track bar longer swaybar links factory balljoints and hubs. Dual steering stablizers, up untill this past weekend its had the factory steering linkage, and never any deathwobble. Changed the steering to the upgraded kit new dual stablizer kit and BAMM!!!!! Instant death wobble above 40mph

$300 spent to creat death wobble?????

WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
I just did the exact same thing as you plus some parts, ? Ujoints steering box and steering box brace and my truck is fine, but im reverse leveled not lifted in the front, check the other thread on here about death wobble they have some good stuff on caster and camber for the death wobble

#3 ·
well we dont have camber adjustments, but caster is a biggie but toe in toe out seems to be more problematic when addressing death wobble.

#4 ·
Ive been on the other threads on hear and scowerd the internet. Ive adjusted my caster to +4 like every one say and that seamed to help a little bit. Im at the point where im going to call west texas off road n have them send me a hydro steering assist kit n see if that kills it.

What im trying to figure out is how does a truck that never had death wobble all of a sudden get it with the new "upgraded" steering linkage. The old linkage was so worn out its a wonder the tierods didnt fall apart.

#6 ·
youve either got to get it on a rack, or pull out the string/tape measure. Measure the wheels at front and compare to wheels distance from eachother in the rear

#7 ·
new steering bad results

That sucks!
truck 1
60 -70 mph shake i had, was balance issue with wheels/tires, maybe weight got knocked off or something.

double check track bar bolts are TIGHT on both trucks .
Check bushings and mounting holes are in good shape on track bar also.

On both trucks i would have some one turn steering wheel back and forth while you physically check every bushing ,joint and steering component for play,
i easily forget or get interrupted often, so i mark what I check with paint stick/marker.
good luck!!

#10 ·
That sucks!
truck 1
60 -70 mph shake i had, was balance issue with wheels/tires, maybe weight got knocked off or something.

double check track bar bolts are TIGHT on both trucks .
Check bushings and mounting holes are in good shape on track bar also.

On both trucks i would have some one turn steering wheel back and forth while you physically check every bushing ,joint and steering component for play,
i easily forget or get interrupted often, so i mark what I check with paint stick/marker.
good luck!!
the 60-70 shake ive had even when the truck was completely stock, any way one of the rims could be bent? or the factory front dually spacer bent?

#8 ·
Upgrade trailing arms and bd steering box brace fixed my 07

#9 ·
trailing arms? are you talking about the control arms? the 4 bars that hold the axle under the truck right? I kno they are a little bit to short with the leveling kit, so Im guesing the ones you got are longer?

#11 ·
Read this!!! New steering, bad reasults!!

Those dually adapters are pretty strong cast if i remember , I think you would bend steel rim first or crack adapter, could have been made out of round though?
I think if wheels and tires are balanced right, bent wheel would be hard to balance. do you have alot of weights on one wheel/tire ?

To check out of round or some thing bent you could spin wheel/tire with something set up as a fixed point of reference.
ie 5 gallon bucket with piece of stick weighed down, with chaulk taped on the end. see if it contacts whole wheel/tire,adapter.
Do both faces of rim, dual wheel adapter and tread/sidewall of tires.

As far as tire balancing. We have new low speed balancer at work, I dont think they are as accurate as high speed one we use to have.
Good Luck!!!

#14 ·
Those dually adapters are pretty strong cast if i remember , I think you would bend steel rim first or crack adapter, could have been made out of round though?
I think if wheels and tires are balanced right, bent wheel would be hard to balance. do you have alot of weights on one wheel/tire ?

To check out of round or some thing bent you could spin wheel/tire with something set up as a fixed point of reference.
ie 5 gallon bucket with piece of stick weighed down, with chaulk taped on the end. see if it contacts whole wheel/tire,adapter.
Do both faces of rim, dual wheel adapter and tread/sidewall of tires.

As far as tire balancing. We have new low speed balancer at work, I dont think they are as accurate as high speed one we use to have.
Good Luck!!!
that's what my next test was going to be. I was going to use a straight dial indicator like we use at work to see it a prop is out of true

#15 ·
truck 1 roughcountry. they are only a few months old.

truck 2 procomp 3 days old

#13 ·
I wouldnt blame it on the wheels, I would blame it on balance before wheels. I would claim toe in / out alignment. Get that fixed / checked before doing anything else.

#16 ·
truck is going to go in for another alignment tomorrow. see what happens.

#17 · (Edited)
If your going to get the alignment done... 5.25 on the caster...

Also, FWIW, worn control arm bushings, loose tracbar bushings, bad swaybar bushings & mount bushings, and steering stabilizer will all contribute to DW.

#19 ·
Check your brand new steering components for play. Check everything under the truck for play by having an assistant move the steering wheel back and forth with the aid of the power steering. You will find the culprit.

#20 ·
Well i dont have the time this weekend to do the alignment.

But truck 2 whent to the shop last week, new bd trackbar new balljoints new tires ujoints in front axle and new steering colum. So far no death wobble. ($2,700 later)

#25 ·
truck 2 isn't mine so im not sure. its my brothers he told me he hasn't gone over 60 with the truck yet, mine dosent do it at 60 eather.

#23 ·
Ive often wondered about this :thumbsup: Seems like tightening something like that in the air (not in its normal weight bearing position) THEN letting the weight down on it... would put it in a bind :confused013:

#24 ·
I would try going back to a stock steering stabilizer. I tried to use a Rancho (which is generally the emulsion style that is just re-branded for other kits) and had DW instantly after my Thuren lift was first installed. Went back to the stock stabilizer and everything was fine.

#27 ·
I had some one in the truck turning the wheel while I was under it and didn't see any loose tierods or play in the trac bar..... did knotice the swaybar links are shot. the draglink dosent have play in the tierods but looks like it deflects when there is preasure on it when trying to turn the tires........ im really starting to lean more towards doing the hydro steering assist on my truck.....

#28 ·
If i understand it correctly, the wobble started after the front end work...what type of 2.5" level kit did you use. sometimes the kit affects the steering angle of the tie rod end (happens on the older mustangs,but when being lowered)..if possible remove the kit on your truck to see what will happens...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.