Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Replacing Fuel Tank...should I replace lift pump at same time?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Joe4d 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to replace the OEM fuel tank with a Titan 60 gallon tank. During this process should I replace the lift pump as well?

The lift pump is working fine, but truck has 175,000 miles on it...not sure how long the fuel pumps last and I'd rather do it while the tank is off the truck rather than having to replace it in the future. If the pumps tend to outlast the truck, then no need. And, no need for higher volume pump, just wondering if I should replace the OEM pump.

What would you do?

Thanks,
Dave

#3 ·
If you feel you should replace it that is the best time to do it if you already have it out. Keep the original and have it tested if you do replace it, if OK then you have a spare on hand!

#4 ·
$220 dollar working wear item that if it fails can destroy your $1200 dollar or so CP3, that has 175,000 miles on it ? and you already have to remove it anyways ?

#5 · (Edited)
Okay, I agree....silly question. Just wasn't sure if these things fail often...sometimes you put a new part on and it fails immediately and then you ask yourself...why didn't I just leave it alone! If it aint broke don't fix it...

Anyway, I think I'll replace it...

Thanks

#6 ·
They don't fail to often but why not. If u got the extra dough then go ahead. Mine pushing 400k miles and I wouldn't replace it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
I did not replace mine when I replaced my tank. I was told the original could go tomorrow or could go another 150K. I have 136K on my truck now.

#9 ·
well thats good to know, figured starved for fuel, super high pressure, equals more heat, and no lube. Soooo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.