Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Always something

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Towdude76 
#1 ·
Just started leaking some red fluid . Help me out here please what's leaking ? Here's a pic .

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
judging by the location of the drips in the first pic...i'd say coolant leaking from the water pump. I cant locate anything in the other pics. Red fluids could be coolant, power steering fluid, or trans fluid. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
That looks like a really deep red for coolant though doesn't it?

OP, can you see where that line leads to? It almost looks like a trans cooler line to me, that is your downpipe in that other picture isn't it? Also check for a coolant leak right under the exhaust manifold. There is a cheap crappy connector that goes to the back of the block, looks like aluminum foil with 2 hose clamps attached. Could be coming from there too maybe.

From the first pic though, it kinda does seem to be coming from the water pump, but not necessarily in the other pics...

#9 ·
Got a few more pics this morning for you guys the lines in between the inter cooler pipe and radiator hose. It runs from a pump on bottom of passenger side to the whatever cooler is in front of the inter cooler.

Attachments

#12 ·
Leaking Water Pump

The red fluid is rusty coolant. The pump is the A/C compressor if it were leaking it would typically be green dye. The water pump is located above and to the right of the A/C compressor as you look at it from the bottom. If you still want to try to locate the leak wash the area that has fluid and monitor it. But more than likely it is the water pump.

#14 ·
What it may be is that it is leaking above that line and dripping on to it. That is where cleaning the front of the engine would help to pin point the leak.

#15 ·
You might want to check your power steering fluid level. The first picture of the hose you show is a power steering hose.

#16 ·
Looks like your water pump is leaking. there is not any other thing on that side of the engine that can leak "red" fluid. once the bearing seal starts to leak it will come out the weep hole on the bottom of the pump as it is made to do. If the coolant in the rest of the system is has been flushed and is clean the rust in it is coming from the bearing and shaft on the pump and from it running down the block picking up rust. take the drive belt off and turn the pump by hand i will bet it feels gritty. its a easy and cheep fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.