Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which muffler should I put on?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Moore1012 
#1 · (Edited)
First of all if anyone can share an appropriate link I'd be happy to have a look at an existing thread addressing my issue...my search came up with little information.

Having said that...I've just cut the exhaust off of my 2005 3500 and installed a 4" system. No muffler. Now it's LOUD. I'm 42 years old and if I were 20 years younger I'd be stoked. SO I want your advice. I want to install a muffler that will allow me to keep as much of the performance that I am now enjoying as possible without making my children deaf. I love the improved gas mileage and power...I just need it to be quieter. If anyone has a muffler suggestion that doesn't break the bank and still allows for decent performance I'm all ears.

Thanks all.

Chris

#2 ·
I have a 4" areoturbine sitting in my shop, ran it for a year or so. Has some minor surface imperfections but other than that it's in solid shape. I loved the change it made to my 4" strait pipe... Especially while towing. I ended up going to a 5" strait pipe... Shoot me a PM if you want to work out a deal. I'm in Oregon.:thumbsup:

Aeroturbine Resonated 4.0" In x 4.0" Out Muffler 4040XL

Reactions: 4x4x5
#12 ·
Do you happen to know what the part number is for your donaldson? I've stopped at a few truck shops and looked at the donaldson catalog and there is more than one 51".
I keep hearing these are the muffler to get, the 51" or the 40", but no one posts part numbers.
They make ones that flow more air then others, all in the same length. I'm looking for quite.

#9 ·
I went thru the same thing only mine was a 5" with a magnaflow I removed the magnaflow and put the Donaldson which helped some but still to loud. finally put 4" pipes on and a hushpower still sounds good but much more tolerable

Reactions: 4x4x5
#10 ·
I considered going up to a 5" exhaust but wasn't sure that the added expense would make a great deal of practical sense in terms of more power and better fuel mileage as compared to the 4", particularly in light of how loud these things get...any thoughts?

#11 ·
I had a look at the FTE Resonator. There is a resonator/muffler that says it allows for the same performance but is quieter. Is that possible? Does anyone have experience with the muffler/resonator vs. the resonator?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.