Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Heater box problem-need picture

931 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Driller05 
#1 ·
Pulled my dash apart to work on the heater. I have the common problem of the recirc door breaking and falling down on the blower. What I didn't expect to find was this:

This junction piece came off. I can't seem to decipher how it is supposed to go back together. The metal rod was bent by the servo motor. If anyone has a pic of this in it's original state I would surely appreciate it.

Chris
2006 MegaCab

See less See more
#3 ·
yep. :agree2: those door shafts are what break all the time. New doors (heatertreater.net) will fix that problem.

#4 ·
Sigh,
No- that servo motor has a tag on it that says "DEF/FLR" and the one that has the pushrod attached to it moves the doors that divert air to the floor or the defroster. The little white arm with nothing attached to it opens two very small doors that control how much goes to the floor. What I needed to know is how those two connect together with the black plastic fulcrum modifier that plugs into that dimple just above the small white arm.
In the end, I just cut the rod off. Since the black plastic fulcrum modifier won't stay in its little dimple, there was no sense trying to fix it. It would just come out again.
Thanks for trying though!!
I had to get the truck back together.
For what it's worth, the set of doors that control the Defrost/Floor would be a serious PITA to try to replace. The heater Treater video shows that guy cutting out a section of the air box. With my dash pulled out and how easy that was, I would rather just pull the whole box out of the truck and replace all 4 sets of doors by dismantling the air box.
What I did get accomplished this weekend was to pull out the Recirc/Fresh door that did break off and cover up the blower, I rigged up a cabin air filter that I set just above the blower. (Not overjoyed with my design, but it should work OK) I replaced the disintigrating foam that seals between the air box and the dash air plumbing, fixed a broken register in the dash and replaced foam on the blend doors. Truck really blows now!

#6 ·
I don't know if this will be much help. This is a pic from when I had to change out the heater core (which would be a good idea to do while you are in there if it has not been changed). I had to re size and zoom in on the area you are working on so the pic isn't that great. Its also an 05

#7 ·
looks like the servo for the door is in the open position. it would push the rod forward causing the door to open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.