Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Hi all! Buying my first dodge

613 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  steve05ram360 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, as the thread title states I am thinking of buying my first Dodge! (Also my first truck :) )

The dodge in question is a 06 2500 5.9l with only 113000 kilometres. (Vancouver truck) Apparently it's has only been used for towing a fifth wheel(the guy wants to sell the hitch too...I don't want it)

I am a steam fitter and am looking for something reliable for travelling and also to carry a quad out to the bush.

25k is the tentative price we have settled on.

My questions to the community are....

What should I be looking for besides the obvious? (vehicle history ect...)

Is there anything I should be wary of?

A lot of me mates own a dodge and are generally quite happy with it.

25k seems like a lot for a eight year old truck, but when I look at comparables 113000 kilometres (70000) miles seems like the engine is being just broken in.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds reasonable, on the surface. If not familiar with these, it would be worth spending a couple of hundred to have it inspected by a professional. There are some repairs that are very expensive (injectors, transmission (if auto), etc. Don't be terrorised by the horror stories on the forum... If you want to build a hot-rod, it will cost you money! There are well maintained, stock trucks out there. If you have found one, a small investment in getting an inspection will more than pay for itself.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Have a good hard look at how the trans is shifting assuming its an auto, there are some basic mods that can be done to make it perform a whole lot better than stock (parts are fairly cheap to)

If possible, fire up the truck with the motor stone cold and listen for any knocking sound. Knocking when cold but goes away could be a leaky injector. Also, excessive white smoke is another injector issue. However be advised that white/grey smoke on a cold motor is normal if temps are cold enough, if i am not mistaken the cylinders are not hot enough yet which contributes to it. (should go away once the cylinders start hetting heat in them).

If its 4wd take mental notes on how it steers and drives at hiway speeds, looking for wandering and constant corrections of the steering wheel, both are a sign of front end wear and possibly issues...

With it being an '06 i hear there are some tachs that have problems as well, fixable though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.