Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Slight problem with starting.

685 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  JWolf 
#1 · (Edited)
The issue I am having is with starting. When I turn the key it hesitates once or twice before finally kicking over. It happened here the beginning of this week. I first went and had the battery and alternator checked and the alternator was not outputting what it should, so I replaced it. Replacing it got me to the slight hesitating I have now. Before that it was acting like the batteries were near dead.

After the alternator was replaced I replaced the fuel filter just in case, but that did not do anything. Now I am assuming it is the starter or solenoid going bad, but either way I know I have to buy the whole starter motor. I have also heard people say they have problems with fuel pressure and that causes rough starts. Hence the reason I changed the filter, cheap and easy place to start.

My questions is how do I distinguish between starter problems and fuel rail problems. I also have not got the starter checked, but plan on doing so, but would also like to know how to distinguish between the two problems without having a gauge to test the rail pressure

Truck details: 2003 Dodge 2500. 4x4 automatic. 5.9 cummins. slight upgrades.

Thanks for any suggestions offered. I really do appreciate it.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.