Cummins Diesel Forum banner

AC clutch replacement.

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  duke416ex 
#1 ·
#3 ·
So I found the directions :party018:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/joecamel90/2010-03-11_192622_clutch.pdf

I purchased my parts from this place.
They charged me 109 and expedited the parts via USPS for 6$. These guys weren't the cheapest but they replied to my email the quickest and it was a simple phone order to get the parts on their way.

Scott McGaha
Office: 727-232-0887
Mon-Sat 9am-5pm EST
Home

There is also Century Auto Air.
Automobile Air Conditioning Parts of Tucson Arizona, Century Auto Air, AC Parts, AC Service and Hoses, centuryautoair.com

Actually there seems to be 100's of places to get the parts now.

This is basically what your looking for
http://www.sunairusa.com/news/HS18Clutch.pdf

As to installing the parts, your going to want a puller, I got mine from auto zone free rental when you return it, Taking off the parts was fairly easy, but pressing the parts back on is a pain, I didn't have a puller setup to press the parts back on so I used my "I call it a rivet gun" but a air hammer and a block of wood. Everything went back on smooth, no dings, dents ETC. And I was able to do it all without disconnecting the lines. Tried it out last night and it was nice to see the pump working again. Next test is when it gets warm out again.

#5 ·
Most of the time when a clutch fails the compressor isn't far behind. Also I wouldn't waste the hassle of changing a sanded style clutch when it may go out in another month or 2. I would replace the entire Compressor.
Do you have any facts VS opinion on the compressor failing shortly after? To me a clutch is a wear item so it failing is not out of the norm. Are you saying the clutch will soon go out again or just repeating that the compressor again might die. Can't see why a new clutch would have any less life then the stock one.

My story
I got a hole in a hose awhile back, and quickly had it and the dryer replaced and recharged besides that one time it has been sealed up, I have had numerous cars plenty older then a 06 with completely stock AC with no issues so I'm not sure how or why a 8 year old compressor would be on its way out. If my system wasn't charged I might have just gone the remove and replace method with a new compressor VS rebuilt, but I still had the charge and the clutch can be replaced in place, so that is the route I went saving considerable amount of coin on labor and parts.

hmm... looks like new AC pumps on Ebay are fairly cheap... :stirpot: Oh well.

Not trying to start a debate but actual facts would be great.

#6 ·
No I don't have any facts I've just seen it many times on the heavy duty trucks I work on. I've replaced just the clutch then a month or 2 later the truck is back for the whole compressor. I've seen it many times, the only thing I can think is of the clutch is wore enough to be bad the compressor was wearing also. Also for how much of a pain it is to replace a sanden style clutch I would just replace the whole compressor way easier and there normally isn't a huge price difference from the clutch to an entire comoressor.

#7 ·
The price I the compressor isn't much different, but when you add in the condensor, evaporator core and getting it recharged there is a big difference. I had my idler go out and broke a belt and I am thinking that took out the clutch too, hopefully that is all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.