Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Feels like im driving a boat

733 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Idaho1 
#1 ·
I recently picked up my truck.I fixed electrical issues(today one of my taillights was stolen or fell off after spending weekend fixing).Anyways now my next issue is the steering.I have to constantly correct as im going down highway.suspension and tires are stock.i did notice leak around steering box.Could it be that my steering box is worn?Should i add a brace with a new box?

#3 ·
take it to a shop and get it inspected... ball joints, TREs, control arm bushings the works... THEN decide what to do. I have personally seen (on my truck), CABs cause this, crappy tires cause this, slop in the TREs & steering in general.

Currently running a Thuren HD steering kit and love it, nothing stock up front any more.

#4 ·
Steve is correct, you should have the entire front end checked out. Ball joint mileage really seems to vary with some getting 100k trouble-free miles and others only getting 20k. If you just go steering box, it may be a replacement that doesn't even help out the situation if the rest of the front end is in need of replacement bits.

At least in my experience, I had a BJ replaced at 32k by the dealership on warranty, and you know it had to be bad if the dealership actually coughed up the coin to do it on warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.