Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need suspension advice

605 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  K9Kodi 
#1 ·
I'm currently running a 4.5 lift dual bilstein 5150 shock setup on the front and am looking to replace them all because they are all shot. Although I would also like to go about 2 inches higher to clear my 37's without rubbing. Can I just add a leveling kit on front and get longer shocks or will I need other components such as a long arm kit?.. Any advice would be great.

#2 ·
how is your 4.5" lift completed. Are you running stock coils with 4.5" spacer? if so you can not stack spacers, it just wont happen, and if you could figure it out, its def not safe.
if you want to keep the spacer you can add 2" lift coils

if your running a 4.5" lifted coil you can easily add a 2-2.5" spacer.

If your running a 4.5" lift kit already many companies use the same pittman arm for 4-6" lift kits. I know a lot of companies also use the same track bar drop bracket. Some even use the same control arms. depending on what you use your truck for, you can get away with short arms on a 6" lift kit. anything over 6" i would suggest long arms, better ride but more importantly better suspension geometry for the front axle.

Are you in a rush or can you afford to have the truck off the road, the reason i ask, I would say get your lift, either coils or spacer, see how far back the axle is and order control arms that will re center your axle. If not, do some googling and measure your control arms and compare them to what a 6" short arm would be, if they are in the same ball park, go for it, if there is an across the board difference between all companies, meaning, everyones 4" arms are shorter then their 6" arms then theres a sign, and order 6" control arms. Also, I would personally order an adjustable track bar, if your track bar bracket is designed for a 4" lift kit and add 2", you cant stack track bar brackets, an adjustable track bar will get your axle re centered. you can order a drop bracket for a 6" kit but i would rather an upgraded track bar, your suspension will thank you later on down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.