Cummins Diesel Forum banner

U joints

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  2006DS80 
#1 ·
Any particular brands or certain models people are having good or bad luck with? Bout to have to do my rear shaft. Looked at moog and dana, and each has several different levels of joints. Not looking for the cheapest, but best value.

#2 ·
mines running $20 Autozone, gold something or others. Need to do my front shaft soon, and its gonna get the same, but think they are only 15.

#4 ·
There is a fairly good mechanics' AND internet concensus that the Spicer Lifetime U-joints are a top quality, solid axle, triple sealed ujoint, though they are NOT greasable. Based on their solid reputation, they are what I decided to run on my truck. Got the right ones from George at 8LugTruck...excellent customer service, willing to take the time to answer any questions that you might have about his products.

#5 ·
spicer wins hands down.

#7 ·
precision Joints are junk. and more expensive than Spicer (at least locally here they are) I'm going to sound like a broken record (posted before)
I was a in-town owner operator for a courior company, I drove 8-10 hrours a day in my truck, I'm also a mechanic and maintained my truck, greased the front end/driveline faithfully every month(every 3000miles)
just because its greaseable does not mean the grease actually gets to each cup. precision has a plastic end cap/nozzle that the grease hardens up and plugs it

with caps off grease would only exit one end

#11 ·
To the OP, if you are still on the stock joints, or are unsure if you are, have a propane or MAPP torch handy. Some of the factory U-joints are held in place with a poured in epoxy that doesn't like to let go. Some heat on the yoke will liquefy it and make the job easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.