Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Sticky rear brake again.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jhenderson 
#1 · (Edited)
A little background info. I redid my rear brakes about 14 months ago, new pads, rotors, rebuilt calipers and all new e-brake parts. About a week after I did this work the drivers side caliper was sticking. I replaced it with another one and everything was good until about 5 days ago.

I could smell a hot brake last Friday, again it was the drivers side rear. I pulled the rear wheel and the caliper and it was the e-brake that was sticking. The cable appeared to be releasing and wasn't the problem. After a lot of struggle and getting a "spoon" that had the correct bend I was able to get the star wheel for the e-brake to spin and release. I think everything is good. I take it for a test drive since I also put sway bar ends on it so I drove it. I return and you guess it, drivers side brake is hot again. I have a point and shoot thermometer and the drivers side rear is 100 degrees hotter than the other three brakes.

Yesterday I pull the wheel and this time the caliper is sticking. I crack the bleeder and there is no pressure there. I pull the caliper and it appears one of the pistons is sticking to me. I use a c-clamp to push the pistons back in and one was harder to retract than the other. I bought it at Autozone and it had a lifetime warranty so I get another rebuilt one and today all is good.

Here is my question. Is it a coincidence that the E-brake and the disc brake caliper was hanging up at the same time? The heat from one problem cause the other? Is something else wrong? I've driven it a few miles since yesterday and all brake temps are the same. My guess is a crappy rebuilt caliper at Autozone.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never seen the self adjuster on a vehicle adjust up tighter than it should... have you checked were the two mechanical cables for the rear emergency brakes connect to the common cable from the e-brake cable under the body... I'd see if the one cable going to the side your having a problem with... is tight....

There is no mechanical connection between the e-brake and the caliper... I've only seen calipers hang up after the boot is damaged and dirt gets behind the boot and allows the piston to stick in the bore... or the caliper quits floating

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.