Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help with Gauges,,

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  raron455 
#1 ·
Ok I have searched and read for days and am now more confused than ever...
I want to monitor certain things on my truck,,
rail pressure
lift pump pressure
EGT
Boost
and maybe trans temp,,
here is the dilemna, I am comfortable installing gauges in the truck,, if I went that route, I would install mechanical gauges, as time has shown me they are more reliable and accurate.
HOWEVER,, I have been reading about this CTS insight unit,, it does monitor some of these things but not all of them,, ???
I see something about add ons, but am not sure,,what do they do, do they just use the factory sending units?
how many add ons will I have to buy,,

I am just trying to figure out which way to go,,, I dont want to dump a grand in this deal, I like the idea of the cts, but know nothing about it,,
any advice would be appreciated fellas.

#2 ·
for what you want you would have to buy two expander, one for egt and one for lift pump. I have one and it was well worth the money. using it for two days I ripped my 3 pillar gauges out and went with an srt 10 pillar. I can monitor egt, rp, boost, load, gear, trans temp, coolant temp etc. much cleaner look and way easier to install.

#5 ·
deerNdodgeBed is saying you want the "EAS" EGT probe. The EAS is the style that allows you to add additional sensors.

I already had my CTS display gobbled up with Boost/EGT/Trans/Rail/IAT (Intake Air Temp). I like the 5-display readout because the numbers are bigger and easier to read. The larger number PID display (8 different values if I remember correctly) made each readout smaller and harder for me to see. Because of that, and the cost of the expansion harness for 2 additional analog inputs plus the pressure sensors, I just bought some ISSPro gauges to view my oil and lift pump pressures.

It would have been nice to get audible alarms on those as well as the visual alarms from the CTS, but the EV2 gauges I got have the little red led in the gauge that you can set up to display as an alarm, and I'm satisfied with that. And the two EV2 gauges AND software to set up the alarm light was cheaper than adding the EAS stuff to get the values up on my CTS screen. The CTS is great, fast install, backup camera capable, alarms (visual and audible), auto-dimming display for at night, code reader... But after you get to displaying so many different things, the display gets hogged up. I probably don't need my rail pressure up all the time, and could easily ditch the intake temperature, and used those two spots for oil and LP pressure... Too late now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.