Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Replace rearview mirror with camera

8K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  jmlcolorado 
#1 ·
Ok guys so I have an idea. I was browsing the interwebs when I saw an article about the new 2014 Nissan Rogue and it has a rearview camera as opposed to a rearview mirror. I was thinking of finding a high quality back up camera, a good rectangular LCD monitor, and wiring the camera to be on at all times, while placing the monitor where my rearview mirror is. I may mount the camera near the 3rd brake light just to the right or left, I'm going to have to tinker with it. My back glass is tinted fairly dark so backing up at night is a pain plus it would help with never having to see around anyone's head in the backseat and be just pretty neat overall. If it doesn't work I could just put the mirror back and then turn the camera to just a back up cam. Thoughts? Pro's/Con's?:confused013:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nissan-debuts-smart-rearview-mirror-160000353.html

#4 ·
#6 ·
Funny you mention that because I've been looking into getting a headache rack...then just do a flush mount camera. I think it will be interesting to do and it will have a wider viewing angle than the regular rear view mirror....i'll be updating as I find parts and locations to put everything.

#8 ·
If Im not mistaken, if your truck came with a rear view, it has to have it, to pass inspection... whether you have a back up camera or not

Reactions: Lovat-1
#9 ·
That's an easy fix, just snap the rearview back on when I go to do the inspection. There are enough places in El Paso that will pass you on an inspection with out looking twice an your mirrors or anything. That is a very good point though for anyone living in a place that is a little more strict about inspections....I think just pulling the rearview out of the glove box, popping it on, pull into the inspection place, and pop it off when you leave would work.

#10 ·
You see plenty of of commercial trucks that have that setup. Seen people do it on motorcycles too. I'd personally like to have a camera just for backing up but I can see how it could be handy at times. Not sure about legal requirements as mentioned above though I see plenty of people riding around with their mirror having fallen off :hehe:

#11 ·
ill remove my mirror for it. I can barely see out of mine anyhow with the window tint, dog box and 8" lift, this would be a safer alternative.

#12 ·
Cool idea, but you use your rear view mirror more than you think. Take it off one week and drive around with it not on there. You will feel naked.

They have rear view mirrors with cameras built into it so you get the best of both worlds. Im sure it would not be hard to rewire it for your truck. I want a camera on the top of my brake light pointed down at my ball so when i am backing up i can see when the goose gets over the ball.

Reactions: Lovat-1
#13 ·
ckrumholt,
I know how much I use mine but like kodi said with dark tinted windows, and if you have a tall dog box, or even a camper, you could mount the camera high up on say a headache rack. Or even mount it to your camper. with a disconnect between the camper and cab. check out the link I in the very first post. It shows a picture of how the camera is set up on the rogue...keep in mind this is a full-time, NOT controlled by reverse, camera that is running a live feed to your monitor(where your mirror would be) Like Chapmla said, a commercial box truck could run this with awesome results. You could still run another camera mounted by your hitch that is controlled by reverse just for backing and hooking up.

#17 ·
There are a couple actual mirrors with decent size screens built in on ebay for cheap that a few people I know have and has lasted and still going with no problems. Just ebay search monitor rearview mirror, it stays on the whole time the truck is on not just in reverse.

#18 ·
I saw these. I'm debating about it. Idk about the size of the screen though It would be pretty tiny, and idk how good the quality would be. I thought about if I do the monitor instead I could position it somewhere other than where the rearview mirror is....dash, pillar etc. basically wherever I don't put my gauges. of course if those mirror style ones are cheap enough I could give it a shot and if it doesn't work return it.

#19 ·
#20 ·
Ok so I went ahead and ordered the camera and the monitor today so we'll see how everything looks once I get it and get it mounted. It should be here Tuesday the 29th. Here's what I ordered.
Amazon.com: Esky EC170-08 100% Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera High-definition CCD 170 Degree Viewing Angle - Rearview Camera: Car Electronics
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EE7EXVW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Kewl beans :thumbsup: Let us know how it works out

#24 ·
Pics!! Haha I want to see what this looks like.

#27 ·
John, I like the camera. but for where I want to mount it I don't like how the camera looks down at an angle. that would be good if you were backing up to a trailer. But I want to be able to mount mine high.... most likely up near the 3rd brake light. And if not then at the top of the tail gate to act more as a rearview than as a back up camera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.