Cummins Diesel Forum banner

TGC Lift Problem

2K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  Crazyjeep 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my 6" TGC lift. After searching the forums, i found this thread that is the exact same problem im having (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/437487-problem-tgc-6-lift.html). Although no solution was found.

My coil spring contacts the stock track bar mount on the frame. To me its like the track bar needs to be shorter to bring the axle back to the driver side but theres no such thing as a shorter track bar.

Can someone tell me how i can correct this?

I have a 6" TGC short arm lift, TGC track bar drop bracket.

#4 ·
Honestly i havent measured anything yet but from what i can see, it looks like the axle is pushed to the passenger side. The sway bar end links are even tilted bc of it. Dont buy TGC sway bar end link mount brackets, i just had my 2nd one break and their not the best. ill have to call them up to see if they'll send me a new one.

Right now the track bar and drop bracket are taken off, i can turn the wheel and center my axle so to speak to where i think i should be sitting and at that point, the coil wouldnt be hitting the frame.

A track bar that is too short will pull the axle to the drivers side, a track bar that is too long will push the axle to the passenger side. I just looked at my truck and theres a healthy amount of room between the factory track bar mount, track bar drop bracket and the coil. On my truck, in order for the coil to contact that bracket or the factory mount that axle has got to be yanked to the passenger side pretty hard. what set up do you have, factory track bar on 6" drop bracket? adjustable track bar on a 6" bracket? Any pictures?
I have a TGC 6" short arm lift, I also have the stock track bar and a 6" drop bracket. It looks like if i put the track bar in the stock location the axle would be close to center. With the drop bracket on, it pushes it to the passenger side.

Right now the track bar and drop bracket are taken off, i can turn the wheel and center my axle so to speak to where i think i should be sitting and at that point, the coil wouldnt be hitting the frame.

Can I just buy a adjustable track bar and run it in the stock location or would that be way to much of a angle with a 6" lift?

#3 ·
A track bar that is too short will pull the axle to the drivers side, a track bar that is too long will push the axle to the passenger side. I just looked at my truck and theres a healthy amount of room between the factory track bar mount, track bar drop bracket and the coil. On my truck, in order for the coil to contact that bracket or the factory mount that axle has got to be yanked to the passenger side pretty hard. what set up do you have, factory track bar on 6" drop bracket? adjustable track bar on a 6" bracket? Any pictures?

#5 ·
I won't run, or look at TGC's gear. Since you are running it, you should look at their product offering and see if they identify what you are supposed to be doing with the track bar. I am not aware of any manufacture that allows use of the factory track bar above around 2".

#6 ·
Im thinking about getting rid of the TGC but i dont have the money to replace the lift. I just need to figure out if i can fix it or not.

Can i run a adjustable track bar in the stock location ? Would that put the track bar at to much of and angle?

#7 ·
Yes with most lifts u can run a adjustable track bar. I just ordered my kit from 6 in lift from pure performance and I wil be adding one as wel.

#9 ·
Is their track bar bent to accommodate the lift? Or do they sell a drop bracket with it also?

you can but I would run a track bar bracket to at least lower the mounting point to keep it parallel with the drag link
Thats my catch 22. You need the drop bracket to lower the track bar to eliminate bump steer but it pushes my axle to far to the passenger side.

with out the drop bracket, my axle will most likely align, but ill have mad bump steer i bet.

#11 ·
Maybe u need a different track bar drop bracket. I dont see why it would do that. Have u called tgc about this issue

#13 ·
I called them and they have no idea. I have to put it all back together and measure how far off center it is and take pictures to sent to them. So i dunno. Guess ill have to wait and see after i do all that.

I've been reading that there was problems with the track bar drop bracket and getting the wrong control arms from TGC. Could the wrong control arms cause this problem?

#14 ·
control arms wont affect the axle center side to side. Longer then needed control arms on factory mounts will push the axle too far forward, and too short will pull it backwards. You shouldnt have to take anything apart to measure it, you should be able to measure from the center of the stock mounting hole to the center of the track bar bracket mounting hole and know which bracket you have, if its for a 4, 6, 8 or 10" kit. If you need me to measure my 6" drop bracket I can.

#16 · (Edited)
So I took some measurements and pictures today since it was nice out. The top control arm was 19" and bottom was 19.5". I have the track bar out but i measured from the axle to the frame with and with out the bracket. without the drop bracket it was 40 3/8" and with the bracket it was 39 1/2".

#17 ·
no sir, what im asking is the distance on center between the stock frame mounting hole and the relocated hole in track bar bracket. again your control arms will not effect lateral centering.

#18 ·
I just measured it and its 3"

#20 ·
In the list of pics i posted earlier

#21 ·
I think the issue lies in TGC's design of the track bar drop bracket.

I ended up selling my lift because even after they sent me a redesigned bracket I still had the rubbing problem.

#22 ·
Im actually looking into replacing my short arm lift now and going with a long arm kit. I was thinking of calling up TGC and seeing what kind of deal they can give me since im having so many problems with the short arm and track bar bracket.

Other option i have is to replace my TGC with pure performance lift stuff, maybe they give a little forum discount?. Get the long arm kit, track bar drop bracket, adjustable track bar. Hopefully that will solve my problem?

#24 ·
Looking back at the pictures finally, being i was on a computer that wouldnt allow the pictures, your coils are contacting the factory track bar mount. your whole axle looks shifted to the passenger side.

#25 ·
Thats what im trying to fix. I ordered pure performance adjustable track bar n track bar drop bracket. Hopefully that will pull my axle back and stiffen up my steering. My track bar bushings are shot

#27 ·
K9jodi. What is your c to c measurement on your bracket? I put the long arms on and am having some problems. Could use that to fab some stuff up. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
Thanks for the replies, i think i have it figured out now. I measured from tire to the frame on both sides till i got it close, i think im close to 26" on each side. So im hoping its close to center now. I have and alignment this friday.

I put new control arm bushings in, if anyone needs the part number for TGC lift or skyjacker, because they are the same ones, its HB-4552-LK for $61.04.

After i started trying to fix my steering, ive got:

New Steering Box,
08.5 Linkage, Newest one out
PP Track Bar drop bracket,
PP Adjustable Track bar
Skyjacker Control Arm Bushings.

It drives weird so i need to see how it is after the alignment but everything is tight and its a crazy difference. Ill chime back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.