Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tie rod recall question

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  seafish 
#1 ·
My tie rod recall was checked few months ago and there was no problem.(no mopar OEM parts) Well now i have one loose steering joint, the middle one.

I bought last year a MOPAR steering upgrade(2008.5) kit 52122362AH with pitman arm and steering damper. Are these tie rod end going to fail or what was the part number that needed the recall. I dont want any cracking tie rod ends in my truck.

This is the kit i bought, is this safe to use.

2003 2008 Dodge RAM Steering Linkage Drag Link Pitman Arm Damper Upgrade Mopar | eBay

#2 · (Edited)
As long as the linkage was installed correctly, with the tie rod ends parallell to the ground and in alignment with each other, it is unlikely that they will fail...I have been driving my 2005 with the 8.5 delaer installed linkage for over 5 years with no problems (knock wood!!!)

That being said, your newly bought and installed parts ARE subject to the recall and will need to be replaced by the upgarded parts when they are finally re-released by Mopar. The upgraded parts have a pin that prevents the TRE from being installed improperly or moving out of alignemnt once installed. It would be best to go to a dealer that you have a working relationship with and get on their parts/repair list becuase ANY and ALL trucks with the 8.5 steering linkage upgrade ARE subject to the recall, thus the list and wait for parts will be relatively LONG. AFAIK, it should NOT matter if you bought and ionstalled the linkage yourself, replacement should still be covered by the dealer under warranty since it is a safety recall of a defective part. If the first dealer you go to will not work with you, find another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.