Cummins Diesel Forum banner

A/C Problems

982 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  imjustdave 
#1 ·
So the first time of the season that I try to use my A/C, it doesn't work. It's a 2006 2500 Laramie. I was told by a buddy that his did the same thing and it was only because it needed to be topped up. I bought the fill kit with gauge and 2 cans of fill but didnt seem to fix the problem. I cant even get 2 cans of fluid into the A/C system because the clutch on the A/C will not kick in. I do not want to take it to the stealership, so i am hoping someone can help me out. Thanks:banghead:

#5 ·
So that's sort of what I thought. However, how do i jump the switch? I found the wires for the switch, and there is three wires, i tried using a piece of wire and tried jumping every one of them to the other (every combination possible) and nothing happened. There was 2 wires that when i would jump them i could hear a click somewhere but still nothing happened. I also read that if it is a 3 wire, it cannot be jumped.

#6 ·
The first step is always connect a set of gauges. Those cans with the gauges cause more issues than they ever fix. You could be overcharged which will stop the compressor, you could be under charged which will stop the compressor. Rent the gauges from the parts store if needed. If you don't know how to bypass the pressure switches, then by all means let a qualified tech work on it. The money you think you are saving will evaporate in a heart beat when you have to replace a compressor. Especially if those cans you purchased has additional oil, and sealants.

Reactions: Chromehorses
#9 ·
I dont know about your prices but here the proper fill up for the AC system is around 100$. I dont mind spending that to know that i have correct amount of fluid in the system. 850grams IIRC. And they pressure check the system to 300psi before the fill up that if it leaks they dont fill it at all. Besides with the gauges you need to know correct pressures for correct temperatures, they are not all the same in all cars.

#10 ·
A buddy of mine had his 04' done about a year ago. Here it cost him roughly $250. Which didn't bother him so much at the time, but it quit working on him about 3 months after. He went back to the stealership and they said it would cost him for them to look into it further as there must be another issue. He bought the same fill system I bought and it worked great for his truck. He feels he wasted that $250 because they never fixed it. Can't find a good dodge mechanic in my area!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.