Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Drivers side wheel well liner removal?

14K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  stevek 
#1 ·
I am installing one of the GDP fuel filter kits and thinking it would be easier to remove the wheel well liner to be able to get access to the fitting on the fuel filter canister. Can someone tell me how to remove the wheel well liner? I have removed all the small bolts but there is a rubber sleeve/boot on the top side of the wheel well liner that one of the small bolts passes thru and I cannot see how to remove it. Its about an inch or so in diameter. My truck also has a Banks exhaust brake with the vacuum pump and it is a bear to get to the fitting on the cp3. I am considering just removing the vacuum pump for access. Any help/ideas welcome. 2006 Cummins. thanks

#2 ·
It's just a recess for the screw to thread into the bottom of the battery box. I used a nut driver, but a deep socket or extension would work fine also.

Can't help with the exhaust brake stuff though

#3 ·
Remove the screws and the ABS plug (don't forget hat before you yank on the liner!) then wiggle out the liner. You have to wrestle it forward/backward/turn/pulletc. Once you get it out the first time it is easy after that.

Yes, working on the GDP kit is much easier with the lner out, especially if you're doing the Big Line kit, you need to get under there anyway.

Take a photo of the bolt/rubber boot in question. No idea what you're describing.

#4 ·
after looking at the liner I'm thinking I did not ask the right question. Is the liner attached to anything under the hood that has to be removed also? Looks like the battery may have to come out? I can feel something under the battery that may be attached to the wheel well liner? sorry if I'm so anal..

#5 ·
no, you do not have to remove anything under the hood.

There is a screw going into the bottom of the battery box. The screw head is in a recess that's about an inch deep at the top of the wheel well, but from the wheel well side. Then you've got a few screws along the outside of the fender, and a couple front and back toward the inside of the wheel well. Pull all those and pop the ABS sensor out of it's holding point, and then you just kind of wiggle the liner out.

you can get the liner out without even opening the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.