Cummins Diesel Forum banner

06 stock radio

5K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  4GLARAMIE 
#1 ·
who has changed out their radio in a 06?
im looking for options on a replacement, and has anyone added subs?
thanks.

#3 ·
have any pictures or more info? i want double din, bluetooth cabability, usb, kind of stuff

i am wanting to add a sub or two also in the back but cannot loose space because of dogs and gear.

#5 ·
Just did it with mine. If you want to save some cash. Here are a few links.

Dual Sub Box

Q Bomb Dodge RAM Quad Cab '02 Newer Dual 12" Sub Box Enclosure w Bedliner Spray | eBay

Install Kit

Double DIN Dash Radio Stereo Install Kit Wire Harness | eBay

Bezel. Find the color of choice

06 08 Dodge RAM 1500 3500 Grey Carbon Look Navigation Radio Bezel Double DIN | eBay

Then find your radio of choice. I have been really happy with the new pioneers. I have used many different radios. Feel free to ask me anything on this subject. I have just finished my project with alot of time and alot of money spent.

Reactions: akray
#4 ·
I'm going to be doing a single din with a 5 or 7 inch screen that comes out of it for dvd playing for my wife when we go somewhere long distance. Search on sonicelectronix.com they have great stuff and send you with a lot of the stuff you need to install the radio. I'm gonna be wiring mine for a amp from the back of the unit even though I don't have that yet.

#7 ·
If you live in a climate with cold winters, you will hate that fold out screen due to your grid heater. Screen will cycle multiple times. I had one. For about 3 days. Hated it. My 2cents is to find a matching din 2 bezel and purchase a non folding touchscreen. Like I said, I ripped out my fold out in 3 days and took it back.

#6 ·
Lots of us have.

My truck had the infinity system with nav, and now has a double din with multiple amps speakers and subs.

Definitely doable.

#11 ·
I'll let you judge that. I'm in Wisconsin. I guess it depends on the longevity of the cold. A quick mild winter prolly won't harrass you like those of us who deal with cold fall through the beginning of spring

#14 ·
HAHA that is funny. But that did happen a few times this winter and many it was cold let my old gas pick up run all day because it runs on 15w40 and it don't like to start when that oil is thick from being cold.

#16 ·
I just replaced mine last week with a Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS (DVD/Bluetooth/SiriusXM ready-I did buy the satellite receiver for it)
DVD parking brake interlock easy enough to wire around, the logic in the new radios is trying to make it more difficult than just grounding the parking brake interlock wire for DVD to work while driving.

I rough cut the bezel for a temp install, waiting for factory nav bezel to come in. Very pleased so far, not sure why I waited so long.

#18 ·
Thanks. Radio $400 SiriusXM receiver $50 --included free 2 day shipping, factory antenna adapter, and double din install/trim kit, and free install support (they emailed me factory wire harness diagram with wire color details as well as the pioneer wire harness details so I could butt splice) and talked me through how to wire up some specific wires that dont go through factory harness (dimmer when the lights turn on, and ACC position wire)--through Crutchfield

#19 ·
awesome, thanks man. thats pretty much exactly what i am looking for in my truck. and it doesnt not look to bad with the bezel trimmed outdid you order a new bezel?

#22 · (Edited)
They make adapters to tie into the factory satellite antennas......I want to say the tie in point is somewhere behind or near the glove box area.

And I'm pretty sure I've read that a Sirius antenna would also work for an XM radio and vice versa.

TMI but....

There are now 3 radio mediums to get sat over: Sirius, XM, or SiriusXM.

Sirius lifetime (which I had also) can be transferred to a SiriusXM radio (which I did), but not an XM radio.

XM lifetime can be transferred to SiriusXM radio, but not Sirius radio.

And of course they realized lifetime subs were net negative for their bottom line and unfortunately no longer offer them.

#36 ·
I have 2 extra adapters if you need one. They are 24 inches long and go from the point behind the glove box where the factory antenna wire stops to behind the radio so it can plug into the SiriusXM add-on kit or just to the back of a radio with the sat tuner built in. I have one installed and it works like a champ.

#26 ·
Had the same problem with the fold out screen... Ran it for a week, took it back and bought a single din pioneer premier. Replaced front door speakers with alpine type r components mounted the tweets in the little A Frame plastic piece in the corner of the doors. Swapped the rear door speakers with standard alpine type R's, dyno matted both doors. Running 2 10" subs behind the rear seat. Amp for the subs is under drivers seat and amp for door speakers under passenger seat. Really came together nicely! Also this is a 06 mega cab... Shoot me a PM if you need any info or pix...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#27 ·
Post some pictures of your setup here man

Idk if I want double din or just a single
I don't need xm or anything because we don't get satellite radio up here

I just need USB, aux, and Bluetooth haha

I am wanting to put a sub or two in my truck also

#29 ·
All you need is an adapter then yes, they will work just fine.

search crutchfield for adapter then buy on ebay for best price.

#31 · (Edited)
Here's a video of mine.

20140115_093538.mp4 Video by TacticalMonk | Photobucket

I have the stock infinity speakers in the doors, but added an 8" sub and an amp. I'm not a bass head, but I just wanted better sound quality. The head unit cleans up the door speakers and when I added the sub I could take the bass out of the doors.

#32 ·
Hey when you guys have wired up your amp which battery did you hook the power cables to and where you able to run the amp wires underneath the center console coming out of the back of the stereo?

#33 ·
Mine is connected to passenger side. Most of my wires come out under the dash along the passenger side of the hump under the carpet. I had my entire interior out when I did it though, so it was pretty easy in that sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.