Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Best all terrain tires?

13K views 68 replies 23 participants last post by  Mj2545 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Carli 2.5 Performance 3" system in the near future and I know you can fit up to a 35" tire if you don't upgrade the control arms and get the fully progressive leaf pack and have rims with a backspacing of 4.5" or more. I'm currently on some Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires in 305/50/r20 E rated tires. I've only had the truck for about a week so as far as tire performance I can't yet say. I was interested in the Toyo Open Country AT2's but have read mixed reviews. I will also be going to a smaller, 17x9" wheel, but what seems to be the best All Terrain tire? I live in New Mexico and will most likely be moving to Tucson, AZ by fall of 2015 so snow performance does not matter, I am more interested in the lowest price and tread life for the lowest price.

#2 ·
I would say bfgs,toyo, nitto, or mickey thompson

#3 ·
What do you personally have installed? An what kind of terrian do you usually see? I've read reviews but never actually talked to a live person about it

#4 ·
I have the mickey thompson atz on my personal truck. There not cheap but i love them and will buy again. I have bfg on my work truck and it has about 35000 and still has over 50 percent thread life.

#5 ·
Im a big fan of the Nitto Tera Grapplers

#6 ·
Havent ran the nitto yet but a co worker has them I will talk to him tomorrow n get his review on them.

#68 ·
I love my nitto terra grapplers I had 285/70/17LTand they lasted a long time, I now have 305/70/17LT and they are terrific my truck has never been smoother. Word to the wise tho get a 10 ply LT these trucks are heavy putting an 8ply tire on em is a good way to waste your money

#8 ·
That's why I liked the Toyos. They're only $291 for a 35x12.50xr17 as opposed to something over $300 like most 35s. I was also looking at the Goodyear wrangler MTR because they're $295 for the same size at 4wheelparts.com

#9 ·
Go to the Tire & Wheel sub forum - there are current threads going on AT tires, including the ones you're looking at.

Reactions: xdm45acp
#11 ·
Well I've only been registered here for about 24 hours so I'm still finding my way around! Thanks I really appreciate it guys. How many miles are you getting out of them HR?

#12 ·
Toyo AT 2 IMHO best AT tire made.
Nitto TG experience worst EVER in my life! Couldn't get them off fast enough to sell.
If are seeking to buy wheels or tires soon shoot me a PM for a solid connection. No BS.

#13 ·
I just started running the Mickey Thompson ATZp3 Hybrid All Terrain. I love them so far. They are 315's and make little to no noise. Very Happy. I always had luck with BFG's also. Check out tirebuyer.com I think they have the best deals and usually free shipping.

#15 ·
^---you still must be figuring this site out. Nothing in my quote about Mickey Thompson tires. Not a fan.

#16 · (Edited)
1,128.04 To be exact. Before Rebate. With free shipping. Mickey Thompson is offering a rebate right now for a set of 4. i think its 80 to a 100 bucks. Not much, but I look at it as a tank of fuel......kinda. lol

#18 ·
I have the toyo AT2 extreme that are 35x12.5x17. Great tire so far. Good in snow, rain, everyday driving. Havent been real off roading with them yet, but so far through job sites and little stuff here and there they have been great. Also they are wearing very well.

I had nitto terra grapplers before and liked them as well. Never got stuck with those and went into some sticky stuff as well as on the beach. But Im leading towards the AT2s.

#20 ·
Did you see that pricing? Not sure why asking my price matters unless you are looking for 315's. Let me know if you need help looking at price on tirebuyer it can be confusing for some. Let me know what you are looking for

#23 ·
Some think that the BFG ATs on our trucks are a contributor to death wobble. I have no experience with these tires on this truck myself, I've just seen it discussed a lot.

#26 · (Edited)
Out of all the AT tires ive ran over the years( BFG AT ko, Hercules terra trac, nitto terra grappler, maxxis big horns and mickey Thompson Baja STZ) for mileage and durability id say the STZ's and nittos were the best (pretty good off road) followed by the hercules (better off road not so much on the street) and the maxxis were by far the best off road but only got 25k miles on them. Cant really say on the BFGs because I popped 3 of them on my 1st outing off road and never gave them a second look after that.
I do know my next set will be the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZp3 I havent heard anything bad about them yet and like the idea of a hybrid AT/MT kinda like the big horns I mentioned. ?..

#44 ·
I am enjoying my ATZp3's Very quiet and smooth. Ive only ran BFG and Mickey Thompson my whole life. Cant say bad words about either.

#27 ·
Ive had Nitto Terra 33's on mine for over 16K now. I couldnt believe how quiet these things are, and how good the truck drove with them. Even wear on all corners... running 60psi in the front and 55psi in the back when Im empty. Great in snow, rain and on ice... good in mud, but not great. It is an "AT" after all. I will definitely buy another set when these wear out... unless something drastic would happen and change my mind :thumbsup:

#33 ·
Wow!

Silver -
I have to tell ya man. You are by far the luckiest guy I ever met to get all these great results from this tire! I must have gotten a blem set of something because ALL THESE things you mention were TOTALLY BACKWARDS for me on the Nitto TG set I bought! They were by far the WORST tires Ive EVER owned and each thing you mentioned being good for you was so incredibly bad for me that I had to get them off the truck asap and sell them due to being horrible in everything you say was good! Unreal.

This is why I would never, ever go back to these and not mount another set on my truck even if you gave me them for free! The Toyo AT 2s have been superb in every feature you mentioned and I have never had a better tire - my first set were the initial Toyo ATs and I don't know why I ever decided to go off track and buy a set of Nitto's. They surely look great but sucked in every aspect for me - this is why I always say to each their own and IMHO when I post anything about personal preference on tires. We each have our own faves and as it turns out different results on how they react. Glad to hear they worked out well for you and everyone else who loves them. No way Id ever go back, especially when I get such smoking deals on the Toyo's and so many members have obtained the same upon my introduction to my good friend who takes care of them too. Can ya post a pic of your truck with the tires and perhaps the wear on them here for kicks? Thanks buddy!

Gunny out………….

#32 ·
Good luck :thumbup: Let us know how you like them, and pix after install would be awesome :thumbup:

#35 ·
On a different note.... is it just me, or are there WAY less tire sizes available today, then there was a year ago? I know I use Discount Tire Direct.... to check sizes and prices, as its just easy to do there. WHen I bought my Nittos almost a year and a half ago.... there were like... a dozen different choices for the size I wanted 285/75/17E. Now, there is 4 choices. Ive seen this on other sizes also. Has anyone else noticed this? :confused013:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.