Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Flywheels

9K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  jakegaspari 
#1 ·
Ok I know that the solid flywheel is better than the dual mass but what exactly are the benefits? I have a solid flywheel getting out on with my clutch next Wednesday and am curious what to expect.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
If you are sharing that you have the NV5600 and a solid flywheel, and your taking the truck apart for its first clutch...

You'll find that the flywheel is damaged from heat and the friction working on the surface of the flywheel... this can be cured by surfacing the flywheel by grinding... I don't suggest cutting it with a lathe... the cutter on the lathe can chatter and give you more problems...

Over the 20 years I was in business we ground thousands of them... we had specific finish we expected on the surface.... we than checked to make sure it was flat with a straight edge.... we than tested the flywheel by turning it on the flywheel grinder 90 degrees and sweeping the surface to make sure that the crank surface and clutch surface are parallel within .002"... We than often machined out the surface where the pilot needle bearing fit, and opened that surface for a double roller ball bearing that's a sealed unit...

We found that over 65% of the failures to the new clutch could be tracked back to damage and contamination to the stock needle roller pilot bearing... by replacing it with a sealed ball bearing we have a bearing that will support 2-4 times the load... and will extend the life of the bearing...

If you have the G56 please share that and I have some thoughts on that as well..

Reactions: bigtexss
#3 ·
The 06 came with the G56 with the dual mass fly wheel. I am not sure if you are saying you are replacing the clutch and flywheel for the first time or you have done the conversion in the past and only doing the clutch this time. give us some more details and we can help you better. i just did the conversion 2 months ago.

#4 ·
As above we don't know what is happening so can't give much advice. The DMF is limited in torque capacity and also wears out, causing rattling and vibration at an idle. However, the factory single mass flywheel used earlier does not interchange. The conversion flywheel such as South Bend's has different spacing to work with the G56, not like the NV5600 flywheel.

#5 ·
Well as far as I know this will be the first time I'm replacing the clutch on this truck but whenever I replace a clutch I'll be doing the flywheel. If this truck still has everything stock on the g56 will I notice anything different with this solid flywheel versus the dual mass

#6 · (Edited)
If you replace it with a single disk with solid flywheel (as i did ) you may fell a bit more vibration transferred through out the truck as the dmf is there to soak them up when they work like new. Also you will hear more gear noise from the transmission for the same reason. All this is normal and there are may threads on here about what fluids are out there to quiet it down and how to add extra fluid to help lubrication of the transmission. Others on here that have double disks could chime in on what they have experienced with there clutches.

#7 ·
After a solid flywheel you may find yourself stuff rags into the cup holder console. LOL. I noticed a significant increase of noise out of the G56.

#8 ·
Alright, well we shall see. I can't wait to have this clutch installed its the valair single disc that can hold up to 1200 lbs-ft so I won't be slipping anymore when I half throttle it. It should also leave me enough room to put injectors on and a better turbo charger.

#9 ·
OK, now that I understand that you have the G-56... the dual mass flywheel, has a group of springs and plastic parts that hold the two pieces of the flywheel together... the two metal pieces float on a bearing.. as the plastic goes away with heat the flywheel now doesn't get back to correct position and will make noise, slip, and give you grief... We used to see the flywheel fail as often as the clutch.... You need to look at Perfection Clutches web sight and view their videos.... They did a nice review of their change over kit for the TDR and how their one piece flywheel and new disc design deals with the problem.... I retired and closed my business in 2010... and we sold a lot of these kits as those trucks started to wear out the existing parts...

If you've turned up the HP you might consider a South Bend clutch.. Most of what Perfection does is private label for stock trucks... But Gary Croyle, one of their key people owns a Dodge Cummins and tows with it... I think their nice people... and were a good supplier the years I used their product...

#12 ·
Valair NMU70G56-04 - Performance Replacement Clutch - Fits - 05-10 Dodge 5.9L & 6.7L Cummins Equipped W/ the G56 Transmission

sorry 1100 lbs-ft of torque is what it is rated at

Ceramic Buttons
HD Spring Hub
Rated @ 600HP / 1100 ft lbs Torque
3400# Pressure Plate
Kit includes: New G56 Solid Flywheel, 3400# Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, HD Pilot Bearing, Bolt Kit, and Alignment Tool.
NOTE: Includes HD Hydraulic Kit NMU70HYD-03

#13 ·
K. There will be some feathering but the ceramic in combo with the medium plate load will make it rather aggressive engagement. The sprung hub should keep it slightly more friendly than a solid.

#15 ·
When I talked to the shop manager he told me there was still a dual mass flywheel on it and it was getting really loose and the clutch was pretty worn so I am definitely glad I put a new clutch and flywheel on this truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.