Cummins Diesel Forum banner

center console 12 volt outlet keeps shorting out/notworking

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Diesel_Addicted_Dave 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Anyone else had an issue with there centre console 12 volt outlet? ever since I have owned the truck it had never worked. found a blown fuse and every time I go to put the new fuse back in it burns it up right away.
any common spots I should check for a short in the wiring or the outlet its self?

thanks!

#3 ·
What was the issue

#5 ·
little embarrassing. I figured since it was burning up the contact points of the fuse as you're sliding the fuse into the slot. and it had once popped the fuse while trying to instal it before I assumed it was shorting out. I read on the forums while I made this thread that this outlet has full time power even with the key of like the outlet beside the cupholder. So I had a brain wave that I can't be scared to shove that fuse all the way in even though its sparking. And it seems to work now... SO now i know to just get some neil nose pillars shove that fuse in even if there is power there.

#6 ·
Nope guess its still popping fuses. works for a bit then after a drive or two it pops a fuse. Tried a 25 amp fuse in it and popped that after 1 20 min trip.
guess Its shorting out somewhere

#7 ·
Putting a bigger fuse in there is asking for a fire. Check for chaffing where it goes into the floor. Is it popping the fuses with no load at all?

#10 ·
just a cell phone charger... not always using the charger though. Theres a little light on the car charger that lets you know if it has power or not. Works normal for a bit then quits.
ya I know. How does that 12 volt outlet pop out from inside the centre console? I tired popping it out with a flat head screw driver. Figured I better check if theres a better way first. Didn't wanna budge..
and a paper clip? run it down the wiring till it grounds out? haha

I'm not great with electrical

#12 ·
Joking with paper clip where fuse is... Unrelated but on semi trailers if we can't find short we hook 12 volts straight to the lights and shorted spot always gets hottest and smokes... on outlet on some you can use 2 small screwdrivers to pull clips in on the side from the front.. Or pull dash off quick isn't too hard... I'd say most of the time short is at or close to socket

#13 ·
yeah. ill try again to pull it out. Now I can't even put a fuse in with out it blowing right away. tried with centre console up and in the down position and it pops the fuse every time now. It's completely shorted full time. Guess ill have to start pulling stuff apart checking wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.