Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tips on Removing Tie Rod Ends - But Without Destroying Them???

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Rhinopkc 
#1 ·
Any of you guys have suggestions on how to remove the tie rods ends w/o damaging or destroying them? Reason I ask is that I've installed the '08.5+ steering system about 500 miles ago and now I've acquired the parts to do ball joints, hubs and front u-joints, so of course the tie rod needs removing in a fashion that allows them to go right back in and be used for thousands of more miles.

I'm thinking it should come out easily since it was coated in anti-seize when installed only ~500 miles ago. But what method have you all used before in this type situation? Backing off the tie rod end nuts to protect the threads and hitting the nut with a nice sized hammer, tapping on the steering knuckle itself in hopes they'll fall right out, etc.?

I appreciate any and all input on this subject.

-Mike

#2 ·
Loosen the nut but don't remove it. Strike it on the SIDE where it goes through the knuckle. It is tapered ad it will pop out with a few swift licks of a hammer. Use about a 4 lb hammer.

05 Ram 2500 G-56 Hypertech Max energy- intake and exhaust
35-1250

#3 · (Edited)
I always give the knuckle a good whack to shock it loose, maybe a couple whacks. Don't tap it with a small hammer. Then thread the nut to the end or take it off and flip it around then give it a little tap tap taparoo. Use an old nut off the old linkage if you still have any.

What he said. ^

#4 ·
Thanks for the tips fellas. I figure they should fall out pretty easily since they're still practically brand new and I coated them in anti-seize, but always good to hear from others who have done this before.

#7 ·
Make sure you are pulling on the tie rod while you are hitting it on the side. Works like a charm. Better use a 4lb sledge or bigger

2006 MCSB SRW 4x4 5.9L G56, 2mic Fuel Filter, Linex Rocker panels

#9 ·
DONT follow the above listed advice, sure fire way to ruin a tie rod end.

as mentioned in the above threads, hit it hard on the side of the steering arm (spindle) the tie rod will pop right out
hint: if you turn the hub/ wheel towards you the front of the steering arm is exposed and easy to hit with a hammer, dont just tap it, swing at it like you want to break it, but dont miss and hit the tie rod!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.