Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Needing a little help

907 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bcur 
#1 ·
Hey gents

Just bought a 06 3500 Laramie 6 spd manual in patriot blue, love the truck just wanting to start on some upgrades. As she sits right now she's bone stock. I like the look of 35 inch tires but I think I want to stay more practical as it'll be used for towing. Wondering if I can get away with 295/70/18 trail grapplers, or toyo m/ts in either 285/75/18 or 285/70/18. I've been looking at the XD series crank rim ( 18x9, 0 offset, 5 in backspacing) I think they'll fit. Thoughts?

#2 ·
If i were i would concentrate on some other things beside tires and rims. i would go with an exhaust and a cold air intake. AFE makes a great CAI, to keep your EGT's down. Your simple bolt on performance parts really do help a lot. But just my 2 cents.

#3 ·
tires

I upgraded my tires to 305 55 20. They fill the wheel wells and do not rub. The speedo is with in a couple of miles accurate at 60 mph. An upgrade that you may want to consider is a programmer. I chose to go with the edge juice with attitude cts. One advantage is that you can set in your tire size and it will give the correct mph reading on the display unit.

#6 ·
programer

Like I said I would consider an edge product. They can be set to give mileage or power. They can be changed on the fly. The display can be set to show several different gages with alarm levels. and they have great customer service

#7 ·
EFI live is tops. It is capable of adjusting individual parameters for the most efficient use of fuel & timing for your needs. Box tuners with set programs are ok but EFI is better.

As for intake, a modified stock box with a deep Mopar filter flows more than enough to supply a <450-500hp truck. Better part, it is cheap. It is not necessary, from a perf standpoint to spend $150+ for an air intake. $15 and Saturday afternoon is all these trucks need.
Here's good reads:

UNDERSTANDING AIR INTAKE SYSTEMS (PART I - AIR DENSITY) - TDR ISSUE 56
Air intake systems appear to be a mystery to most readers. Sometimes they improve power, other times they don’t. This two part article will help to explain how an air intake system works using engineering principals and dynamometer test data. Part 1 will discuss airflow and show the effects different intake components have on engine power. Part 2 will discuss air density and show the effects air density has on engine power.​

UNDERSTANDING AIR INTAKE SYSTEMS (PART II - AIR DENSITY) - TDR ISSUE 59
As a summary, a properly engineered aftermarket air intake kit installed on the Third Generation truck should produce rear wheel dynamometer power increases between 0-7 horsepower with stock fueling calibrations; between 8-11 horsepower with a 100 horsepower fueling module/tuner; and 17-20 horsepower with a 200hp fueling module/tuner. As you will see in this article, when you test a truck under real-world conditions, power improvements from most aftermarket intakes will diminish due to the effects of heat under the hood.
For exhaust, the cat is the restrictive part compared to the muffler. You've got a stock 4" system which is good. But lots of options here based on your tastes. If you will be towing a lot, you want to stay on the quieter end and watch for drone. I would not pull the cat without using a good muffler or resonator or you will drive around with a massive headache. Or who knows, you may like it loud.

Reactions: 06DieselRyder
#8 ·
Again thanks for the advice guys.

Shorts
EFI live is tops. It is capable of adjusting individual parameters for the most efficient use of fuel & timing for your needs. Box tuners with set programs are ok but EFI is better.

Do you tune your own? Reason being I live up in Canada and haven't heard of too many good tuners in my area. Just wondering how advanced EFI is? Also the info on the air box and exhaust is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.