Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Plasti Dip

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  jdinny 
#1 ·
So im thinking of doing a weekend project of plasti dipping my front grill and badges on my truck and was wondering how it held up for other people and how many coats you put on, im aware the more coats the better but i dont want to go over board.

#2 ·
i did my front grill and the plastic under my headlights with plasti dip holds up just fine. been a year now its seen a bad winter and multiple car washes and its still their. lay about 3-5 coats and your good.

#3 ·
Did mine a few weeks ago. All the emblems and the grille. Did the handles on my camper as well. Been through a couple car washes and everything seems to be holding up.

Reactions: WhitetailHunter94
#6 ·
The plasti dip i put on truck is holding up, again, the more coats the better, i wouldnt personally say as much for durability as i would say for taking it off. If you want to take it off eventually and its sprayed to thin its gonna rip in a million tiny different pieces. Im not sure what it was, heat maybe, but the plasti dip on my wheels didnt hold up for !

#8 ·
I've used plasti dip on my old truck and it never came off and I had it on there for 2 years. I also did my friends Audi S5 his grill badges and his rims and still on there till this day. And the salt is heavy here in jersey

#9 ·
I shot 8 coats on my ranger.
Holding up pretty good so far. I did not use the spray cans, I used the 14.5 ounce cans of dip and thinned it myself with Naptha and Xylene. Sprayed with a Graco hvlp system.

#10 ·
When I bought my rig, the prior owner sprayed the mirrors (white) and door handles to match. He used crap paint though, dipped my mirrors today and just need to do the handles!! looks good so far.....:drool2:

#17 ·
I didn't even do that... I just painted right onto the tire, and as long as you get a thick coat, it should peel right off. Some people will use notecards between the tire and wheel to keep it off.

You can get it anywhere, Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, etc

#18 ·
Dipped wheels, both bumpers, b pillars and aluminum fuel door. Been about 2yrs in that picture.

Cheapest place I found dip was home depot $5.XX, vs $8.XX at napa.

#27 ·
Just take a kitchen sized garbage back and rip it down the middle, open it up and feed it into the wheel, then spread it out to cover your rotors and calipers.

Do you have to scuff the wheels or clean them with something special?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just clean them good with soap and water, mean green or something like that to make sure all the brake dust is gone. Then I use some alcohol to be sure there's no residue left.
Shoot your first two coats very light, and wait 10 minutes between coats. I like 5 or six coats to be sure of good coverage and easy removal.
Dip away !!!

#26 ·
Spray paint chips with rocks and everything you may encounter on the road. Plastidip is basically a rubber coating, so it will not. And... if you don't like it after you Plastidip it, it peels right off!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.