Cummins Diesel Forum banner

I'm new to this and need help.

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Ehall42 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am looking into buying a dodge cummins. I have always drove a f150. But I wanted something a little bigger and diesel. So my question is I have been looking between a 2006 and the first half 2007. Now with the 5.9L do they need the egr and other deletes? I'm not quite sure what all the deletes do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
The years you're looking at don't need the deletes. I believe they have in-cylinder egr. The '07.5, came with the 6.7 and I'm pretty sure they have the DPF and external EGR. 06 or early 07 would be you're best bet because of EFI Live tuning. Just my opinion of course.

#5 ·
It's the Holy Grail of tuners for the 06 and early 07 5.9's. It allows you to get the most out of your truck through tuning. There are other tuning options like Smarty, Edge, DiabloSport to name a few and many people like them but for me, EFI has been fantastic. Unless, you want to keep it stock but that's no fun.

#10 ·
My father has the same truck you have, 06 f150 xcab short bed 4x4 5.4 triton.

His truck is very nice for a half ton, but comparing the half ton market to a 3/4 or 1 ton is apples to oranges. I believe my truck gets better fuel mileage his 5.4 v8, I also feel that his truck feels underpowered, maybe thats cause I drive a cummins. What do you get with the 06 early 07. You get a proven motor, you get 325 horsepower and 610 foot pounds torque. You will notice with true diesels, a healthy diesel will usually make close to double the torque as the hp numbers. Part of what fuel efficiency the truck has is due to the high torque numbers. your looking at 231hp 293 tq with the smaller v8 and with the 5.4 300/365 with the larger. So off the bat you get more power. I dont know if you tow much, I dont, but when i do I have the power to do so safely. Speaking of safely, If you have something you need the extra power to pull, its probably pretty safe to say the heavier duty chassis is a def bonus.

the 24v 5.9 in the 06 and early 07 is the last model years before the 6.7. This was the last models of the 5.9 where its still considered non modernized, epa untouched, and as the years get older they become less restricted. AS stated earlier, we have an in cylinder egr system, but thats about it and Ive never heard of, or dont recall any issues with that. As stated previously as well, EFI is available for the 06 early 07. Its the top of the line tuning system. The motor can handle a heck of a lot. Dont let people run you off because of the transmissions. In stock form the transmissions are pretty solid, its when you start throwing more power at it then its capable of handling you run into problems......fast. No one has really ever given exact numbers, but I recall being told years ago with my first 06, anything over 75 extra hp on my new at the time truck and tranny would be asking for trouble with the stock tranny. If you tune the motor, just behave and dont dog the tranny and youll be good for a while.

What are you getting? your getting cummins reliability cummins power and cummins dependability. One thing you notice going on vehicle forums, more people come on and post threads about issues they are having to receive help. It gives the appearance that there are more issues then there really are. You have your enthusiasts who build monster power, so yes, of course they will have their issues, but again, youll find the family of cummins owners very helpful so many people ask for help before going to shops or dealerships, again, dont let that scare you. Ive owned 3 diesels, 2 cummins and 1 powerstroke. Ill never own another powerstroke. I love my cummins. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

#7 ·
I traded in an 08 F150 for my 07 Cummins. With the Ford, no matter what I did, I got around 15mpg's. With the Dodge, after all the upgrades, I'm getting around 17-18mpgs (hand calculated) and have a whole lot mor fun doing it. The power, compared to the 150, is way better! Especially after a few modest upgrades, like exhaust, tuner, etc.... I towed a decent sized trailer with the Ford and it was terrible. If you do go the Cummins way, be careful, it's totally addictive!

#9 ·
I have an MBRP 4" turbo back, with an Aero 4040XL resonator. Sounds great to me! Those mods you mentioned are great to begin with. I'm probably not going much more than what I've done. I say that now....
As far as pics, I'll try to get some later when I get home.
Another mod you should definitely consider is a 2 Micron fuel filter kit from Glacier Diesel or Vulcan. It's not that pricey but it adds in protection for the injectors. Some folks run just the stock filter with a Baldwin 7977 only, and have had good results. I run that filter along with a 2 Micron setup for peace of mind. I've already had to change my injectors once.
There is a ton of aftermarket support for these trucks, so there are many options for whatever you want to do.
As far as price, they definitely hold their value, so just keep an eye out for a good one.

#13 ·
Ill admit, I wouldnt say i got more p-tang, but i would admitt, it drew more of a welcomed type.....country girls, truck girls and the such. Less of the uppity, yuppy prissy whining girls.

#14 ·
I have 2 buddies with Powerstrokes that have had nothing but problems with them since they got them. One has an 05 and in the last 6 weeks has spent over $10k in EGR, head gaskets, head studs, injectors, a turbo, and a tranny. None by choice, either. His turbo went, then EGR, etc... Plus, the whole cab-off deal when you need to do anything other than an oil change. I think the trucks look good but way too many problems. He had a 99 24v before that and he regrets every day that he sold it.
The other has an 06. He scoured the country to find this truck and had it shipped from WA to MA. It was spotless, low miles and all stock. After a month of owning it, he sees coolant leaking and has to replace his EGR and possibly head gaskets/studs.
Both are beautiful trucks but not worth the headaches.
I was looking at an 08 PS before I bought my 07 and the more I researched about them, the more I wanted a Cummins. I'm not really into the Duramax thing, personally. But if you want to do anything to a Cummins, there's plenty of room under the hood unlike the other 2.

#16 ·
yup, the cummins is a proven power plant. It was used commercially for years and years. ITs been used in boats, pups, generators, tractors, everything. Cant say that for the powerstroke or duramax. I had the powerstroke, and when i realized how user unfriendly it was after my head gaskets went I sold it. In order to properly access the EGR cooler and oil cooler the intake manifold had to come off, TONS OF WORK, in order to access the head studs, the whole CAB HAS TO COME OFF!!!! My roomate has a nice duramax, he constantly tells me how much nicer looking at my motor and how much more user friendly it looks. Not to mention, a true diesel is inline, look at the big over the road trucks, all inline, as far as i know. Really does say something there.

#17 ·
It's almost like you have to buy a lift if you're going to own a Powerstroke. There was an article in a recent Diesel Power on doing head gaskets on a Duramax and I think they quoted 21 hours to do them! Yucko!!

#18 ·
well for the OP, theres another plus, Ive seen multiple threads on backyard mechanics, never having rebuilt a motor before, pull their cummins and rebuild it. Good luck with a v8 stroke or max

Reactions: CSC 5150
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.