Cummins Diesel Forum banner

poping noise

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  TimboSlice 
#1 ·
truck makes a popping noise when I turn left. its been doing it off and on for awhile but today it has been doing it everytime I turn the wheel. im guessing its ball joint? havnt really had a chance to look at it just thought id get some input before I crawl under it

#3 ·
You could have a buddy try to dry steer in your driveway ans see if you can pin point it underneath unlesz it only pops when your driving. If thats the case judging your signurature that says you have a lift im guess you have bigger than factory tires. wheel bearings or ball joints usually are the common thing to go out

#5 ·
my 04.5 did a popping/ clunking noise and it was my axel u joint. easy to replace and it was cheap. lift truck off ground and move tire backward and forward and see if it pops or clanks

#6 ·
oh yea... when mine was popping I did the unit bearings and the axle u-joints at the same time... I forgot about that.

#7 ·
If it's a constant popping noise while in the turn I would be checking the axle u-joints and the wheel bearings which are part of the hub on our trucks.

A tie rod, or something like that even ball joints usually only make one or two pops when turning and most easily heard or found when going very slow and turning.

With engine off have someone yank the steering wheel back and forth. Watch and feel all the tie rods and the track bar. and drop links.

Then jack up the front end and start checking ball joints and wheel bearings. Wheel bearings can be hard when they are not that bad yet because they won't always pop without a 3,500lb front end on them.

#9 ·
What did you find?

#11 ·
I found out my truck is temperamental haha when I got under it and my friend turn the wheel it wasn't making the noise.. of course :spank: but as soon as I dropped him off it started making the noise :doh:

#15 ·
My track bar pops turning left as well. When it wants to. I just bought MOOG bushings and will be installing soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.