Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Bright headlights

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Broaner 
#1 ·
What is the best headlight I can put into my truck? I currently have 6k 55w HIDs in my headlights and fogs...theyre uhhh bright.

I am almost certain that my HIDs are causing my headlights to fog up. Id like to take the entire system out and the brightest normal bulb possible.

The problem is, I have a 5% strip and 40% on the rest of the windshield. Which will NOT be removed...

Anyone want to point me in the direction here.

#2 ·
What kind of fogging do you mean? Like moisture fog, or the actual plastic lens is getting hazy? If moisture, are you sure it is completely sealed where the build sticks in the housing?

Being that the truck is an 06, the headlights should have a reflector cap between the bulb and the lens, so the actual bulb shouldn't be causing a hot spot/hazing on the lens. Are you sure it isn't hazing on the outside of the lens from oxidation and road salt?

I'm running 55W HID in my '07. I had a slight issue with getting the bulbs sealed properly whenI first installed them. It was more to do with the bulb bouncing in the housing when I hit a bump in the road, than it was fogging. I'm sure if I had been driving in the rain or washed my truck, I would have had fog with the poor seal, but after I got them fixed up, I haven't had any fog issue.

#3 ·
Moisture on the inside.

I have replaced headlights and bulbs. I have also inspected the rubber doughnut gasket on the housing.

tired of having water in that headlight. So I want to dry it out and not have HIDs anymore. Just a nice white, bright headlight.

#4 ·
For what it's worth, what I had to do on my truck was to carefully cut one of the rubber factory gaskets in half with a razor (making two thin gaskets out of one), and adding on top of the one supplied with the HIDs to make a tight seal.

I heard those Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs are pretty bright for a halogen type bulb.

#5 ·
The problem is, I have a 5% strip and 40% on the rest of the windshield. Which will NOT be removed.
Damn son you tinted the whole windshield on a dd?!? I have 5% on everything but the windshield and it sucks at night, I can only imagine tint on there to!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Lots of us have fully tinted windshields. 40% is just about right. It doesn't affect vision as much as one would think, and it kills night time glare like you wouldn't believe.

#8 ·
Well, it's not exactly legal in any of the 50 states...

#9 ·
I have those sylvania's and they are brighter than stock for sure but I want much more.

Remove the bulbs and check the gasket seals to make sure they are tight enough. Then apply a bunch of silicone grease or dielectric grease. Set them in the headlight where they are not burning anything and turn them on for a long time to dry the light out.

While the headlight assembly is still hot re-install the bulb with the new grease. This will create a vacuum when they cool off. Assuming they are not leaking. Swap left and right bulbs if you think only one is leaking and it might be the housing or the bulb leaking.

#11 ·
I believe with both Philips and Sylvania you can get the on road DOT bulbs or the offroad not for street bulbs. I don't remember the wattage of mine but I want a small light bar tucked away somewhere like in the bumper..

#12 ·
9005-9006 fog conversion. A bit more light. Nothing to ship your pants about but its something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.