Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Steering issues that I have no clue how to fix

948 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  redrum123 
#1 ·
So here's the story, I received my father in laws truck after he passed away and just started driving it last week. I'm new to dodge diesels as my other truck is a 2012 ram 1500 so this issue has me lost and I have searched the forum and tried in google to find the issue but I can't. Ok so to start the truck is a 2006 Dodge 3500 mega cab dually, the steering is loose while driving at any speeds. it just sloppy back and forth, left to right, just feels loose and I have no clue if its the steering box or if it needs steering stabilizers, etc. Can you guys please help, thanks so much

#2 ·
The stabilizers is just supposed to keep you from bouncing side to side when you hit a decent bump, it will not get rid of the loose feeling in the wheel.

The loose wheel can be any number of things. Check all of the bushings and ball joints under the truck and replace as needed. You can get a new steering box from Redhead for $350 or so that will make a big improvement if your stock box is wearing out. Also there is a heavy duty steering brace kit you can get for $150 or so that is supposed to help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
exactly. spend about $5-600 and get nice lifetime warranty components and the steering box and it will feel 10x better than factory. i have the brace, but not the steering box, but when i have the truck in the air soon, ill be doing ball joints, steering knuckles and a steering box.
if the truck is lifted or has wide aftermarket wheels, youre putting a lot more stress on it than oem suspension and wheels.

#4 ·
Before you start throwing new parts into the front end, take it to a good front end alignment shop and have them check it out.

Tim

#5 ·
Look up "death wobble" a lot of 3rd gen trucks have this problem. Many ways to fix it. All range from cheap to a few hundred dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.