Cummins Diesel Forum banner

H&S Mini / Black Maxx for towing

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mello03 
#1 ·
I finally have the funds for a full EGR/DPF delete and tuner. After reading many posts regarding the H&S, it seems the general consensus is that when towing, the SHIFT patterns are terrible after adding the H&S product.

I am looking to do the deleted + tuner to improve towing my 42' 5th wheel and for the possible +4mpg increase in fuel economy.

Any input and direct personal experience with towing/fuel mileage appreciated.

#2 ·
I run my H&S Black Maxx, with Trans Overdrive software, and tow my 40 foot fifth wheel, which weighs about 15-16k.

I only tow in MILD tune, and if need be will sometimes drop back to No Power if temps get too out of line (pulling a grade, etc..)

I also keep a close eye on my trans and EGT, and have my wastegate set to open up at 32psi.

I average around 12mpg when towing with this setup.

I have my defuels set at:

1450 EGT
210 Trans Temp
220 Coolant Hot
170 Coolant Cold
32psi Boost

These seem to work quite well. I don't lay into the throttle when towing, I let the engine spool up slowly, and make sure things are not stressed... been doing it this way for about 2 years without issues. I added the over drive software last July and its been even better.

Reactions: Speedylifsavr
#4 ·
Do you use tow/haul and/or the transbrake when you tow . I am curious because I also have the blackmaxx with the tcm tune . I have a 9000 lb travel trailer but have not towed it yet since I modded my truck . I was wondering how tow/haul would perform with overdrive?

#3 ·
I'm only towing about 10,000 lbs, but keep the MiniMaxx set for no power and just love the fuel economy. I usually set the stock transmission in tow/haul mode and it works fine.

When towing, I usually do not turn on the engine brake unless I need it, typically after leaving the freeway and getting onto side streets. I'm not fond of the aggressive downshifting that the tranny will do if you have tow/haul mode on and the engine brake engaged.

#5 ·
I am curious about this too. I won't tow for another month or so but plan on just using the EB and not the Tow Haul since I only tow about 6K mostly highway. I just put the OD software on so wanting to baby the trans as much as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.