Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Any one have pics of fire rings/steps cut into heads and block for hi power builds ?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  nicocummins 
#1 ·
I keep hearing about steps cut into the block and heads to help with seal on high hp engine.

Ive heard about a bunch of different style of cutting into the head and block to keep the sealing of high boost in.

How many different ways are there ?
Are they all the same way just named different?
Which is the best?
If there are diferent ways what the pros/cons of each?
Are some better for sleeved alum block over a iron block ?
Anyone got pics ?

#2 ·
Rings

Try the search option in the performance section.
I am going with fire rings , cut into head only. This is a very debatable topic. I chose firerings because best shop in this area recommends them.

#3 ·
Well using a fire ring or O ring will help but I know alot of people who use fatory head gaskets.. with over 1000hp and no issues.. I wouldn't do it personally..especially a CR ..I have heard to many stories of it not lasting.. and then when you use big cams.. most often you need relief cuts in the pistons so they don't contact each other..any machine shop can perform that task.. not to expensive.. and if you have them out and can't afford "race" pistons you could have them coated which isn't to bad..

#5 · (Edited)
Are some better for sleeved alum block over a iron block ?
QUOTE]

Cummins aluminium block?..:shock:

LOL i got started here because i knew you guys ran tons of boost on the motors. I was looking for a way to seal up my racing engine to higher boost levels which is a alum/sleeved block.

But after looking around here for a while my car is on hold and im saving for a truck which i plan to add some of my Car tricks to the truck. And hoping by then ill have more money so i can work on both.

That's why i was looking for pics so i could see how they work.

#7 ·
lol i cant barely keep the front wheel down now cant even think what would happen with a turbo 954

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.