Cummins Diesel Forum banner

XX-Fuel Filter Kit

18K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  pipeliner71 
#1 ·
I found this company in Diesel World magazine. They sell an aftermarket dual fuel filter kit. It has a 8 micron water seperator/filter and a 2 micron fuel filter after that. The filters are made for them by Donaldson. They offer a high mount and frame mount kit. They also recommend removing the OEM fuel filter and leaving the fuel filter housing empty. I questioned them about cold weather issues. They said they had not had any problems but recomend a fuel additive. Company is XX-Fuel Diesel Fuel Filtration Systems
Has anybody bought one of these kits? How did you like it?

Thanks,

Slauso

#2 ·
Yes, I bought one of the high mounted frame kits. Fairly easy to install. I recommend using the soapy water versus diesel to lube the hose before putting the fittings on. I was going to build my own filtration system, but I like the ease of just buying a pipe cutter versus all of the fittings. I left the OEM filter housing and run a Balwin in it. I have had zero problems, but it has only been a few months.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Do you monitor lift pump fuel pressure? I am concerned a little with those filters in the cold weather we have here in the winter. If I could find a 2 micron filter that would fit in the OEM filter housing I would likely go that route.
Anyone know of a 2 micron OEM filter for the 5.9?

Slauso

#4 ·
If I could find a 2 micron filter that would fit in the OEM filter housing I would likely go that route.
Anyone know of a 2 micron OEM filter for the 5.9?

Slauso
There aren't any. Just plum this kit to the OEM filter housing and use a Baldwin 7977 fuel filter. Many have done it this way.

#6 · (Edited)
use vegetable oil such as olive oil to lube the push on fuel line connectors.
safer on the hands and eyes if a drop comes down.
diesel in the eyeball hurts like hell.

plus there is no water or soap contamination of the fuel system, just plain ole green plant bio diesel

vegetable oil helps with cleaning the hands after working on a diesel and have the black hand syndrome. cleans and removes the diesel sting and dryness

overpriced for what one gets
ah64hd has an outstanding DIYer write up on the forum of a 2 micron plus water separator filter, also several other good write ups
total of the parts, less than $125 unless one wants to go with the pretty NASCAR steel braided line.
can't beat the CAT, or Donaldson 2 micron filters, one gets what one pays for

#8 ·
Thanks for the comments and advice. The guy from xx-fuel said the following.

"Our filters are made for us by Donaldson and are rated for 2500 gallons of fuel flow. Our filters have much more filter media than an OEM cartridge providing longer filter change intervals. Under normal circumstances, they can easily reach 20,000 miles of use with pump fuel.

XX-Fuel has only U.S. dealers at this point and we're looking to expand into the Canadian market.

Our filters have a 1"-14T mounting boss which is very common offering our customers alternatives to the XX-Fuel replacement canisters. Although we would like our customers to use our filters, Donaldson, CAT, Baldwin, and others make filters that will fit our filter heads.
339.00 US does not seem to bad for the dual filter setup,2 filters ,hoses and the mounting bracket. A little research and I can buy replacement filters up here.

Thanks,

Slauso

#9 ·
You can get a full system from Fass with the pump for about $100 more & do away with that factory pump. Do it right the 1st time because they have a lifetime warranty & many more choices on the filters! That factory pump isn't any bigger than flashlight battery & I don't think it was designed to push thru 2 filters.

#11 ·
I have a similar setup I designed prior to this kit. It looks like a well built and designed setup. I am more a fan of sequential filtering, and thus have my 2um after the OE canister.

The only thing I don't like is they don't give out the Donaldson part numbers, i like to get the filter specs from the mfgr on all the filters I run. Setups like the AD and FASS have made me leery of mfgr claims.

#14 ·
I am looking at the GDP big line kit and 2 micron filter mounted under the intake horn. I like the idea of all my filters being in the engine compartment when I am driving in -40c weather. The only issue I see is where to connect my pressure sender for the Autometer fuel pressure guage. It needs a 1/8 NPT port. I have seen filter heads that have 2 input and 2 output ports. I would like to monitor pressure to the CP3 as I do now.
It will get figured out but takes time. GDP kit looks good to me.

Slauso

#16 ·
Ordered the GDP BLK and 2 micron filter kit last night. Thanks to all for the discussion and help.

Slauso

#19 ·
xx-fuel may have gone under:confused013:. All of the sights that I have seen their products on no longer offer them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.